There's a light at the end of the tunnel, and its name is summer break. This semester has been the hardest of my teaching career, hands down, and yet I've learned many valuable things about myself, life, time management, the importance of iTunes, the importance of B vitamins, and the power of my friendships and family relationships. The rallying I have received over the last couple of weeks has stunned and amazed me. I have learned - or been reminded - that I am known to and cared for by some of the loveliest people in this whole wide world.
I also learned that I need some hobbies.
Mostly, my hobby has been reading the New York Times. (I also like to eat Lindt truffles.) But that's not much of a hobby, right? It's a great activity, but is not quite recreational (except on the weekends when I devour some of my favorite sections and the Magazine in whole ... usually).
My hip hop dance class has been a great hobby, so I guess I'll list hip hop dancing as Hobby #1, but I needed something that doesn't necessarily require breaking a sweat and something that would help fill me up on a more regular basis. (I've been running on empty, you see. Gas tank = E)
Answer: learn the guitar (again). Hobby #2.
I started back in 1995. Learned a few chords. Learned how to strum like a chimp. Wrote a couple of songs for Girls Camp (2007, 2008). Daydreamed about jumping on stage with Spoon.
And now I can add to that list that I bought a guitar (you inspired me, Heather!), learned more chords (B, F, C, E), and got my callouses. I'm never gonna let 'em go, never gonna let 'em leave me. Sounds like a love song. A tribute to my calloused fingertips. Tonight I even wrote a song. Yes, if you're wondering, it is a total Ingrid Michaelson/female singer songwriter derivative, but I was excited to have lyrics come to me, and chord progressions (a really cool one, in fact!), and a melody line ...
I've been so depleted that I haven't even been able to enjoy some of my favorite songs, bands, albums or whatnot. I haven't watched any of my favorite shows this entire year, and the other night, I wallowed in a weird self pity as I saw post after post on Facebook about the new episode of Glee but felt that I lacked the strength to watch it. Yikes, sistah!
Tonight, sitting on the couch, singing my new tune, crooning like I'm on a Lilith Fair reunion tour (as a concession worker, I'm sure) ... I felt a bit like myself again. The myself with hobbies!
Hobby #3: blogging. I might try it sometime ...

16 comments:
So glad you shared a glimmer of the light at the end of that tunnel.
March and April have always been difficult-no wonder they call it March Madness.
STRUM ON ! ! !
Rock on, sistah! I'll be waiting for your album release and the spectacular celebration party. And we still have to our "date night"! :)
Hurrah! You're back! (And just in time to check out "Cori's" latest post.)
I know Allen'll be excited about your guitar-playing . . . what kind did you buy? What a perfect and soothing hobby! You're so smart to "medicate" with improving talents.
But I admit, I'm most excited about hobby #3.
So glad to see you again -- I check many times each day, just hoping for a sweet word from Erin ...
i'm so glad you're back!!! glad life is winding down, but i'm also glad you can blog again for totally selfish reasons. something inside me squeals with delight at the sight of a new post to catch up on. and i can't wait to see a video posted of you performing your song....
Hip-pip-parade!! Erin's back!!! Keep collecting options for hobbies...you're really good a a ton of things that we mere mortals find difficult! Add updating your database about how you view yourself--as a hobby....or self-caring.....you are way cooler and more creative than you know.
I would love to buy one of your albums, I would love to buy many of your books and give them to my book club friends...I would buy your oil paintings if you decide you want to paint in oils... perhaps sometimes when life overwhelms you, perhaps you think you are puddle deep instead of ocean deep--which is how deep you really are...
And never give up the Lindt chocolates!
Look at how many of us are so glad you are back!!! (the lindt balls with the fatty chocolate inside are hands down the favorite).
How about small birds of fabric collecting and arranging, that's a hobby. Writing sort of counts.......hobby, livelihood, etc.
I have some cool guitar stuff for you (should you be interested in learning more).
My new hobby is goign to be the intro German text I found for 6 dollars (I've been looking for 3 years for one)..........wie gehts?
oh my sisters -- what? Marni are you serious you bought a German text - why? (It sounds like I'm distainful - I the Holocaust Studies instructor?) Rather, I'm perplexed.
Personally I perplexed why anyone would want to learn the guitar. (I am in for some attacks on that.) I have no interest and never have had interest in learning the guitar.
I need some new hobbies too -- or would like to get my old hobbies out. Themed dinner party anyone in my new house that actually hold people? Making nursing quilts - even though 4 nieces and nephews have been born and I haven't made a 1? Doing dance and theatre (if only they offered Irish dance for adults where Elin takes, I'd be SO there - my dreams of dancing lead in Riverdance might still be dashed but oh well).
Can't wait for you to play for us (while we all eat Marni's chocolate balls - although those white chocolate ones you once gave me Marni tasted like I was eating straight butter) so I guess I'll just listen to Erin play.
Yay! I can play 4 chords and can hum my way through a few songs, like "When the Saints Go Marching In" and "Amazing Grace." I have to sing it with some LONG pauses in certain places (chord changes). Makes for a smooth ride. ;)
Courtney-
I don't like the white ones, but the chocolate ones do taste like straight chocolate butter (: YUM. I haven't had on in a very long time..............perhaps I should remedy that.
As for German. Spanish came easy, I should foster that skill, but am not drawn to it. I've thought about learning some German if we ever travel there for Jon to sing. He has had a few semesters and so I'd like to converse.......
I need to do some language something! I've always wanted to know more languages, might as well start with German. I'm not in love with French. I could do Italian.........
Swedish. Danish. Hmmmm. Perhaps I should focus on proper English first? (:
Glad you're back. SUNK left an ominous hole. For whatever reason the Lindts taste too commercial for me. I bet you'd like some of the truffles April trained on. Hip hop on. love ya.
I have watched Stranger Than Fiction many times through and have found a new love in wanting to learn to play the guitar. If only I would pick it up now and actually learn. Good on ya' for doing it. You're amazing!
Glad to see you back too! I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar, but I guess maybe the lack of an actual guitar got in the way :) Yay for you! I guess I will have to find other hobbies.
Your sisters crack me up. I have a guitar in my closet waiting for me to relearn it (one semester course in college). I am glad summer break is here for you.
Give Graham the camera! We need some Erin iTunes here.
I'm so glad you've found something to feed your soul. We all need that, but tend to neglect ourselves in the hustle and bustle of taking care of everyone else.
Hurray for summer!!
Lovely post. You sound like your usual self and I'm so glad to hear it. You are so very loved, sweet friend.
Post a Comment