Jul 13, 2010

Questing

A few months ago, I bought a five-sectioned notebook & started on a course of study. I'm reading books, blogs, articles - starting some, finishing others, making note of stuff to put on my To Read list, and am trying to keep track of what I'm learning in some form or fashion. It's a daunting process, but exciting too.

Right now, I'm reading Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert, The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh, The Writing Life by Annie Dillard, The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker, and American Fascists by Chris Hedges. (One downside of reading a million books at once is that I only proceed a few pages at a time. Takes forever, but that's okay.)

Also, let me point out that I'm watching "Psych" episodes on hulu.com, lest it sound like I all I do is read. That's a laugh. Mostly I sleep, think about sleeping, check FB, fold laundry, make meals and rinse our swimming suits in the sink. 


Mostly, I feel like there isn't enough time/energy to learn all that I need to learn, but I also recognize that in the past, I've been complacent and let the sheer overwhelming-ness of the task of knowing myself and my world slow me down shut me down. In fact, it sometimes seems as though 'complacent' is my default mode. I rely on other people's experiences and conclusions instead of my own.
Sigh. I am a big-time sucker for someone confidently explaining his/her worldview and sometimes forget to ask myself what I think about the world, hence my quest.


Time to go back to that old Shel Silverstein poem about eating an elephant.

One bite at a time, right?

I like these thoughts too. 


"Rely not on the teacher/person, but on the teaching. Rely not on the words of the teaching, but on the spirit of the words. Rely not on theory, but on experience. Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. Do not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."


-- Buddha

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've been thinking a lot about my work, and what I do with my days, and how it is easy to say, "well, that is just for now" but without my realizing it -- 15 working years have passed. What will I be doing 15 years from now? The same stuff, getting away with it, skimming by, just because I can? I think of you as the least skimming person I know. You do ask other people's world views, and you do listen, but you seem (to me) to have a very firm grip on your own views. One of millions of reasons why you are so strong, and so beloved. We love sharing your journey. (The Writing Life. So good. Sigh.)

Michael Carpenter said...

I cannot read more than 2 books at once, and preferably only one. Plus, I need to spend more time reading and less time on the internet. (Your blog excepted, of course.)

Ammon and Erin said...

Thank you for sharing that quote from Buddha--I haven't read it in a while, and it is one of my favorites which speaks to my core.

Becca said...

Um, I am totally interested in the Single Mormon Halloween thing. Is that a blog? Send me the link, sista!