You know how you get phrases in your head and then they repeat and repeat and repeat? I don't mean catchphrases. More like thought phrases, worries, beliefs, hopes, fears, that kind of thing.
"I feel incomplete."
"I don't know how to fix things. I lack the skills to be in charge of my own life."
"I've wasted so much time."
"I am no good at finishing projects."
...and so forth. (These are random examples, not pulled from, um, my head!)
A well-meaning person might say, "Oh, you shouldn't be thinking that! Those things are not true." OR "Thinking those kind of thoughts won't help!"
But the mind isn't always as well-meaning.
I've been battling various thought spirals this summer. Certain phrases just chase themselves in crazy circles through my head. (I'll spare you the rest of the list, but there is a certain commonality.)
Part of me knows those thoughts aren't accurate. But *knowing* doesn't always change perception. Why is that? Seems like someone should be in charge up there, giving commands to the heart and so forth. Instead, my brain sometimes feels like a battlefield between a squabble of power-hungry generals, each pushing forth an idea aggressively that most likely contradicts the idea of the next general.
"You can do it" is shot down by "That's a laugh. Just remember last time!"
I chuckled when I saw this bumper sticker last week, a bumper sticker I occasionally catch in the student parking lot and should probably stick on my own bumper: "Don't believe everything you think."
And honestly, I'm actually doing better. Some of you have received the sad emails, the weepy texts, some of you have listened to my grief or watched me fall asleep on a dime, on a concrete slab and so forth. ('Cause sometimes it's too much to stay awake.) Others have wondered where the me you used to know disappeared to. I feel those thoughts of love on the breeze some afternoons. And yes, I am getting stronger. (The picture says it all! Courtney and I peddled that paddleboat all the way to the dock with Andrew as a stowaway.)
But those mantras persist. (I suppose the goal is to reduce frequency.)
And so I gratefully received a new mantra from my friend Corinna. The same day that Heather and Brent sent flowers, a blessing in bloom! (A thousand thank yous.)
This new mantra, one I now picture with yellow roses from that gifted bouquet, is one I'm programming in. I guess I'm arming this thought general, a daisy peeking out from the end of his gun. The mantra is enough to chase the other generals off. It speaks to the Buddhist lesson of impermanence, and will most likely be useful during really splendid life chapters too because both good and bad are fleeting. It reminds me of wise counsel from Elizabeth and the image that came from that ... my future self, smiling a metta smile, reaching out to me with a hug and happy reports from what's next. Here it is:
I won't always feel this way.
p.s. Here's an amusing thought rivalry that dukes it out at least daily. "How come I know nothing at thirty eight?" is usually given a good shove by "At least you're figuring it out now."

9 comments:
Thanks for this post. I often feel so inadequate compared to those around me and berate myself knowing that I could do better...and things spiral downward from there. I love the new mantra! (And the picture...it is FANTASTIC. Andrew, you stowaway!)
Oh the thought spirals are literally the worst part of depression, for me at least. I mean, even on a good day in a good year I wake up thinking "you're not a good enough mother" and go to bed thinking "what did I fail at today" but can usually drown those out with sweet talk from babies or other help. But on bad days in bad years? Those voices inside are so MEAN and so CONSTANT. I'm proud of you for your new slogan, and really proud of how amazing you look in your picture. And, yes! I MISS YOU!!
Don't believe everything you think is one of my mantras. This too shall pass. I have a pretty good vision of who you are and what the future holds and the sun is shining in those visions and you are smiling.
I love to see you've updated your blog, and I really loved that you shared some serious and meaningful thoughts in this post.
It's tough. And sometimes it doesn't feel like we can be as tough as what we face. But you're absolutely right! You WON'T always feel this way (like that lady fading into the green brick background on the zoloft/cymbalta magazine ads--sometimes when I see her picture I think, "That's me--frumpiness and all")
Your picture is classic. I love that Laura called Andrew a stowaway. Keehee.
I thought I'd just say that those "mantras" are the reason I have a job. You can't just bootstrap your way (or a person) into not believing them, and thus goes the work of therapy. Tracking these thoughts, the resultant emotions, linking them over weeks to core beliefs, and beginning the slow work of healing and change.
Anytime the mantras can be shifted to a rational "neutral" (which you will only believe with about 5% of your brain at first), you move into a more safe direction. This will pass, or I won't always feel this way is true.........hang in there.
I have thought, lately, of grief as a metaphor of being on a beach. At the catastrophic moment or experience, it seems like I am drowning. But the tide goes out only for a few moments and I sputter to life again. As time passes, the drowning lessens and the respites increase.
I don't think anyone who has ever experienced significant loss in life will ever be completely free of that overwhelming wave. But the assurance is there that it will pass just as surely as it will come again.
Don't believe everything you think--I can't decide if I should reproduce it in cross stitch or quilt.
C has it right. (I'm not sure who C is)........
This isn't the therapy lecture (necessarily), but I often see my job as the person who knows how to swim in the deep water and I encourage my client to step into the depths a little at a time (whilst learning to swim in it).
M
remember the poster that used to hang in your basement of the cat hanging from a branch captioned "hang in there." i li34tg ... my cat literally just jumped on my laptop, spilled pop on my desk, and disabled one of the desk's legs; thus the weird text. anyway, i liked that poster. my cat better find a place to hide.
your dad once told me that because of what i had experienced, i would be able to understand and help others going through similar painful times ... empathy is one of the greatest things we can accomplish, in my opinion, and your raw, tender, honest writings have made me feel a little less emotionally isolated today.
Post a Comment