Today is my dad's 75th birthday. I looked up the related gifts for year 75 and learned that the gift for a 75th birthday or anniversary should be a diamond. (Note to self: order cufflinks, pronto. Cubic zirconias will have to do.) And while I didn't actually purchase a diamond in time for this birthday, I think the stone is an appropriate symbol for the wonderful person he is, and not just because he likes to tell stories about living for a time as a child in an old coal shed (no joke). Like a diamond, his character and humor has been forged through many experiences, some trials. Like a diamond, he is multifaceted, interested in culture, history, language, politics ... and most especially, his family. Like a diamond, he is strong.

And also like a diamond, he shines in his setting. During our family vacation over Christmas, all of the adults stayed up one evening to play games after the little kids had gone to sleep. This is a tough feat to pull off, but we gathered around the long table in the cabin we were staying at and started in on a new board game. One of the best moments for me of the whole trip was the sight of my dad laughing and laughing once the game had devolved into the silly state our family enjoys so much. In fact, if a board game isn't able to transport us to the "laughie" stage, it's probably not a keeper. My dad's belly laugh is so much fun to witness, it made everybody else laugh as well.
Happy birthday, Dad!
Here is my dad with the grandson who shares his name.
4 comments:
Happy Birthday, Fred! Any dad of Erin's is sure to be a keeper.
What a lovey birthday tribute. I love your description of getting to the "laughie" stage.
Happy birthday, Erin's lovely and beloved Dad --- what a great tribute.
Love the metaphor - dad is a gem indeed!
Maybe I am a gem from having worked 7 years for Gem State Paper Company, in Twin Falls, and Pocatello, Idaho. Or, maybe I am a gem because having married the perfect woman for me (Susan) and having been the father of the 3 younger members of the intergalactically famous HFS (Hill Family Singers), I had nowhere to go but up. I have a strong grip; I grabbed ahold of the orbits of these 4 beautiful and special people, and have hung on. What a fantastic ride. We have soared to the outer rims of Heaven.
Yes, I am still hanging on and loving every minute of life with S, E, M, C, and their families.
God is good!
Much love to Erin. Thank you for your kindness.
the Fred Dad
Post a Comment