Aug 14, 2011

Rubberbanding

Last month I taught summer school and moved. Two big tasks that drained me, yes, but also uplifted me. Worth it on both fronts! However, my reading/writing time was severely compromised. I'm going to blame the heat! Texas has been a dry oven this summer. Yes, it's always hot, but this summer has been incredibly dry as well. The local news aired pet advisories, which makes me nervous - if animals can't hack it in the heat, what chance do we humans have?

Thank goodness we hightailed it to Minnesota for our yearly reprieve. The weather here during the summer IS a vacation all by itself. My kids have been playing outside for hours each day and it makes me happy to hear gleeful laughter on the trampoline or see them biking in front of Grandma and Grandpa's house.

Here are some shots of our attempts at Human Rubberband at the cabin. The kids had fun, but the whole thing is a bit trickier when the participants have such widely differing heights and weights. Still, lots of laughter and only a few stepped-on toes!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What an awesome game, and great weather, and I love your dad just reading peacefully in the background while ya'll are all stretching a huge pink rubber band to its limits ... especially love your pose in the last shot --- so Erin.

Sara said...

Elizabeth took the words right out of my mouth - the last Erin pose is so perfectly Erin - and I love Fred being so oblivious to the mayhem (fun!) around.

Becca said...

I'm so glad you get to escape the heat in The Land O' Lakes. It looks shady and inviting and like a barrel of laughs in all those pictures! Are you back now, or still there for a while?

Colleen said...

The spontaneous laughter of children is priceless. You have literally been in a heat dome in Texas. Glad you and the kids got a break into summer [versus oven] weather... and laughing with cousins and family! Priceless. Love Fred calmly reading in the shade! Erin, I loved, and still love the tribute you wrote to Fred.....Glad you are in the new house... monumental to teach and move in the same season.... but you are amazing. xx c

Sherry said...

What an amazing grandmother!