Oct 22, 2007

Lowdown makeover/Book Fair highlights



Becca (Renfroe) told me blogging would be addictive. She is clearly a master of the form.
But I agree - it's fun. I've already given the Lowdown a top to bottom makeover.

Actually, I just tried another template. It's pretty easy to switch-around. I also just realized that there are a couple of font choices. I promptly clicked on "Georgia" because I think it looks nice on a screen.

My goal with all of this is to create some kind of record of our lives right now ... and maybe share some details & photos with the three of you who are interested (just kidding!).
I'm always running so far behind on scrapbooking that I really shouldn't call myself a scrapbooker. My goal for 2008 is to get caught up.

That'll be nice.

But this is good too. For me, things come & go so quickly that I can't always remember what was said and done. I'm not sure that I'll be able to capture everything here, but it's something.

Along those lines:
Last week, the Scholastic book fair came to Sul Ross elementary. Meme (Kathy Littlefield) gave Graham and Annie some money to purchase books at said fair. This provided a great lesson in arithmetic since Annie promptly found 25 book that were "so special" to her. Both kids did a really good job making choices, winnowing down the pile of selections to a manageable 3 each. By "really good job", I mean not screaming inside the elementary library where the sale was being held :) But both showed early promise if they choose to become attorneys.

We actually compromised by taking pictures next to the $4.50 posters instead of buying them. Graham wanted his picture next to Hannah Montana as well & Annie posed with High School Musical too. Disney-fy your life, kids!

Annie chose a Barbie: Island Princess picture book; Barbie: 12 Dancing Princesses chapterbook; and Tinkerbell: The Early Years (I can't actually remember the real title). This was after putting down the Dora Mermaid book.

Dora's a mermaid? What is going on with that girl? She's everything - a princess, a fairy, a real trendsetter (kudos to the marketing dept.).

Graham ended up with Poor Puppy (which we HIGHLY recommend); Is That a Dead Dog in Your Locker?; and Is That a Sick Cat in Your Backpack?

Lovely titles, aren't they?

I chose a couple of books too, including a very cute $2 biography of Henri Matisse (I did not realize his "Jazz" paintings were actually paper cut-outs) and a chapter book called Clementine.
I can relate to the kids too - I also found about 25 books that looked "so special".

And that's why we're off to the library this afternoon! I've had a sore throat so instead of reading stories the past three nights, we've listened to Ramona books on CD. I LOVE Stockard Channing's voices, BTW, but it's time for something new (since we've heard about Beezus' creative writing project 4 times).

1 comment:

Becca said...

My favorite thing you wrote in this post is "Disney-fy your life, kids!" They really do know how to grab their audience.

And I'm glad that the Dora book didn't make the cut, because that huge head and loud voice drive me nuts. I wonder if she's still as loud as a mermaid? I don't think sound waves travel as far under water.