I haven't abandoned my blog, I've just been swamped.
I don't use the word lightly either.
This semester has just about done me in.
Done me in because I'm not naturally a skilled time management type person. In fact, I think I am pretty darn inefficient and disorganized. Nothing like ramping up students and all that to indicate flaws in my organization strategies. I need a consultant, I'm sure. Marni helped with nutrition consulting over spring break, and it's been a good place to start the healing process.
Fish oil to the rescue!
More sleep to the rescue!
Still... here are some numbers:
140 students
6 classes I'm teaching
4 essays per student per semester
24 hours a day
2 kids
3 months without watching any TV
2 months without watching any movies
87 times I've listened to "Polythene Pam" and "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window" from the Beatles' Abbey Road album (in the last month)
The Beatles songs have very little to do with the stress levels of my semester, but I liked the number.
Life is good. I cannot complain. 2010 is still a great year filled with creativity and opportunity, but boy, I yearn for energy! In fact, it's not more time I need, just more energy. A common wish, eh?

13 comments:
How funny that you would blog today...Melea and I were just discussing last night how much we missed your blog. Hope you get some rest!!!
How many weeks left in the semester?
What can I do? Stop emailing you about visiting teaching and hanging out?
Cute shirt in the picture, BTW.
Hang in there, Erin. I hope the burden lifts soon, at least a little bit. Your stats led me to recall that I listened to Abbey Road multiple times a day for most of the latter half of 1984! Crap, I'm old! I adore the bass part in Bathroom Window --
I need time and energy. I have that exact shirt you are wearing, although mine seems to fit strangely.......... More fish oil perhaps?
You do at least look gorgeous, although that doesn't give you more hours in the day, huh? I'm so sorry about the stress ..
Glad to see you back, at least momentarily. I don't have the same numbers as you but I had an unsettling dream last night involving work which made me feel like I "worked" all night in my sleep - so I am wishing I could nap now! I love Abbey Road. Have you seen "across the universe?" - it's a story that uses beatles songs as the backdrop and my favorite part is when this girl appears in the apartment and the guys says "that's prudence. she came in through the bathroom window." :)
I am also sorry for your overwhelming schedule. You are familiar, I assume, with the three best things about being a teacher??? June, July, and August . . .
I know you love teaching, but I hope you enjoy a long HOT summer break.
I'm sunk too - cleaning condo hours a day getting it ready to sell. Working on new house - here, there and everywhere. Grading midterms of 70 students and keeping up on regular grading and class prep. Primary Presidency responsibilities. Being a full time mom. Working on health and wellness. No time - I lost it the other night - luckily dad stopped by after dropping mom off at the airport to visit you all in Texas and saved me - saved me from myself and took us to dinner (my filthy, stinky, sweaty, and weepy self) - I wish I could take you to Panera too and save you for an hour. :)
It is nice to see you on blogtime again. Even sunk you're articulate.
Oh, your mom's comment is so nice. "Momment."
I think I'm going to make you a t-shirt that says "Fish oil to the rescue."
Oh Erin, I'm sorry you are feeling so swamped! I don't do well with time-management either...even though I "fake it" pretty well, let's call it the "illusion of efficiency", kind of like the "illusion of clean" I maintain for my house!
I hope can give yourself some much-needed rest soon!
Still sunk, I take it ):
Post a Comment