
Well, for those of you who A) didn't know and B) care, I was called to be our ward Young Women president at the beginning of this month.
Back at the end of January, Bishop Albrecht called me and asked to see me later that week. There came into my mind the (unbidden) thought, "You will be the next Young Women's president."
I quickly shooed that thought away, but sure enough, when I met with the Bishop, that was the assignment he asked me to accept.
I have felt somewhat overwhelmed but have given myself permission to figure it out as we go. My usual style would be to have a masterplan in place with a curriculum already designed, but that's not the way it's going to be with this calling. There is so much to figure out (the personal progress program, Wed. activities, etc.) that I have to learn just a bit at a time.
I am glad to have two terrific counselors and a nice bunch of young ladies in our ward. I am also amazed by all the LDS women out there who not only plan amazing YW activities but post the details online. Resources abound!
4 comments:
You are so fun to be around you will be an awesome YW President. The girls are very lucky to have you there. You will do a terrific job. Way to go Bishop:)
I also knew you were going to be called! How wonderful for the girls to have you and for you to have them. I love those girls and I know they will love you. I know Paul's excited to be working with you, as well. Have tons of fun!!
Yay, and I'm one of the lucky ones that gets to work with you. For me it's not so much "learn just a bit at a time" or "learn a million things faster than I can keep up" :) But I'm excited for all the things to learn and ways we're going to grow in this calling. You really are doing such a great job!
Erin, I think you have a very clear understanding of the kinds of challenges these young women face--and you're so genuine and unpretentious--there's no way they're not going to want to follow your lead!
One of my favorite things you ever talked to me about was Giuliani's "broken window" policy when he started cleaning up New York City: about how buildings with broken windows are more likely to be vandalized, just like girls who dress sloppily/immodestly are more likely to deal with morality problems or to become recipients of the wrong kind of attention.
You're so good at using language and real-world examples to teach principles--I am sure this calling is demanding, but I can't think of anyone I'd sooner trust my own daughter with.
Post a Comment