Jul 22, 2008

Annie's thoughts

We are staying with our friends the Samuelsons and are having lots of fun (despite a lack of AC today). I have enjoyed eavesdropping on Gwendolyn & Annie's conversations. Here are two snippets:

A: "I can't wait to go on my trip. I really want to see my Grandma in Minnesota!"
G: "But won't you miss me?" (looking sad that the fun playtime might end)
A: "I will miss you a lot, but I really want to see my Grandmother."
G: "Don't you love me more than you love her?"
A (pausing for quite a bit, ever the sweet diplomat): "Well, I think I do love her a bit more (using two fingers to show a short distance, as if trying to spare hurt feelings), but I really will miss you. (Pause.) But I really do want to go see her. She is my grandmother, you know."

Later on, at the table, the conversation turned to death.

Gwendolyn, concerned: "I don't want to die. I want to be with my family and my friends!"
Me: "I don't want to die either."
Annie, cheerfully: "But the one good thing is, we can finally see who God married! Also, we get to go back to the olden days!"

Hey, I never thought about it THAT way.

Two nights ago, Graham, Annie and I were reading one of their books called "Sit, Truman!" before bed. Graham got the giggles like you wouldn't believe. His laugh is quite infectious, even when it's WAY past bedtime.
Annie wanted to be having as much fun as Graham, so she asked me to tickle her. Then she wanted me to tickle her feet. She tried to force a laugh, but it just wasn't organic.

A (making a hmmphffing sound): "Why does Graham get to laugh before bed and I don't???" (said in the EXACT same voice as a "Why does Graham get another cookie and I don't?" kind of complaint)

5 comments:

J and M said...

I love it!!!! See you soon (: m

colleenky said...

Your recountings make me laugh!! You are a remarkable Mom!!! xoxo to the whole gang! c

Becca said...

Hilarious. I wish I got to laugh as much as most kids do, too.

And I can't believe I've never heard of "Sit, Truman."

See you soon.

Sue said...

I love hearing the cute things your kids say. Hope all is well with you. We are hoping to see you some time with Marni and Jon up here near us.

Steph Thomas said...

It is so fun to read what your kids say. They are so sweet and innocent.