Jul 8, 2008

Summer maintenance

Well, there's MUCH to update ... and frankly, the only reason I have a chance to do that now is because the Houston Temple is closed for summer maintenance. So while I was planning to be at the temple today, I am actually here at our motel, blogging away in our houseboat-esque room.

Graham and Annie are attending the American Diabetes Association's Camp Rainbow (for diabetics & siblings), and I was thrilled at the chance to be able to attend the Houston Temple Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this week. I've never had a chance to go four days in a row, but since we are staying at a motel in Spring for the week, and since the kiddos are off at camp until 3 p.m., it was going to work out perfectly.

I even had to get a new temple recommend a few days before coming to Houston because my old one was stolen. Because of our move (I'm getting to that), I couldn't find any church clothes. Typically, when I go to a temple recommend interview, I wear a dress. Or a skirt. Or even nice dressy pants.
But last week, I went in a black t-shirt and olive green capri pants. Sandals too. Argh! So, I was ready to go. I checked the temple website and there was no indication of summer maintenance closing, but when I drove up to the grounds this morning and saw the big front gates closed, I had a sinking feeling. I actually burst into tears, because I was so excited for this once-in-a-lifetime chance. Maybe next year when we come back for diabetes camp, it will be at a time when the temple is open.

7 comments:

J and M said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I cannot believe it. This is not good timing for you! Will you just read? Will you hold your own peaceful worship services in the motel room, will you sleep many hours a day? AAAAAAAAAAaaa. m

Becca said...

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Courtney said...

Oh Erin, I'm SO sorry! I hope you tell the Temple that they should update their website. How disappointing - I concur with the combined sounds of marni and becca: aaaaaaarrrrrrrr!

robyncreates said...

SOOO sorry Erin! You should call up Karen or Nikki and go visit.

Steph Thomas said...

That is really sad. Just your luck right?

Jennifer said...

How heartbreaking that the temple is closed! I'm so sorry.

Last week I went for my stake renewal interview and when I left, I realized that my shirt had a huge and very visible smear of baby snot on the shoulder.

Jennifer said...

Uh, that should be "stake temple recommend renewal interview".