
My must-haves for our swimming pool summer -
Swim Shirts
Gammy (Kyle's wonderful maternal grandmother) gave Graham a marvelous birthday gift, a truly inspired set of gifts actually: swim trunks, swim shirts & a duffle bag to carry them all in. He loves the swim shirts! I love that his shoulders do not burn, and that after the pool, once he's dried off, we can run into HEB to pick up milk and bread without having to go home to change clothes.Sunblock stick
I was reminded just today of how much I love these sticks because I left our stick at home & had to use an old tube of SPF cream on my face. It burns, stings and irritates the heck out ofmy tear ducts. These sticks are like applying angel kisses (slight exaggeration), and I love that the kids can help with the task on their own faces.Of course, I do more than merely sunscreen - I also swear by enormous sunglasses. (Becca is proud, I know!)
Upside is that I avoid squint-related headaches and perhaps slow the rate of eye wrinkling. Downside is that my facial tan is quite raccoonish - I have tan lower cheeks & a lovely bronzed chin but a pale nose and white under-eyes.Packs of goggles
The kids kept fighting over the same pair of pink goggles until I noticed that one (a smart-n-savvy shopping mom) can purchase a pack of four for $1.50. No, they aren't the Michael Phelp-endorsed package, and I'm sure the elastic will give out before August ends, but it's super duper to have multiple goggles in the bag so that everyone's eyes stay bloodshot free!Skirted suits
The best, I tell you. Better for me than boy shorts, tankinis or the old t-shirt/short cover up combo.Courage/lack of shame
In previous summers I probably made a beeline from my towel to the pool, then stayed in the water until the sun had set OR managed to carry children around me so that I was disguised. Not any more. I walk from shallow to deep end. I dive on the diving board. I eat pizza while dangling my feet in the kiddie end.And it feels liberating. (Then scary when I see a picture.)
Ha! You thought I'd post of picture of me in a swimming suit here. Fat chance.
5 comments:
Multiple Erin posts! To which one should I comment first?
I, too, sport the raccoon tan, and am proud of my lily-white eyelids and freckle mustache (Oh Mom, did you have to say that to me once?) Preying mantis glasses a la Jackie O. unite!
My poor kids miss real swimming pools. We of course have a kiddie pool, but the water from our hose is barely above freezing temperature. They have learned to love the not-so-cold sprinkler- under-the-trampoline system. We are driving to Arkansas this weekend and they are beside themselves with anticipation for Nana's pool!
PS- swim shirts are a must, but I don't share your love of skirted suits. In fact, you've given me an idea for something to add to dislixe . . .
Oh I'm so proud of you for getting over yourself ... I try and try (I did go swimming three months pregnant in front of my just-delivered-a-baby-but-look-I'm-svelte-like-demi-moore sister-in-law. (hyphen addict) And the pools! I can't wait until Oliver and Allyson can swim and we run around all the pools all summer long ...
Wow, your forehead looks like mine but you have bangs. Interesting shot - is that you saying "FAT CHANCE" - or just posing?
That pools looks great - tons of fun. When you come there are so many places to go - French Park/Medicine Lake, Elm Creek Park Reserve a la my email - amazing - remember last year when I made myself sick going in the pool at Grove Cove because I really wanted to go down the water slide - ugh, headache for days, itchy skin, couldn't breathe - sadly NOT worth it!
I got a giant hat at Unique - we should find you one too - that saves me because I wear sunglasses 365 days a year - sometimes INSIDE - but this hat keeps the sun from coming in the TOP and the sides. Lovely. Too bad I don't look like Grace Kelly in "To Catch A Thief" - sunbathing with an enormous hat on the sands of southern France (or later - Monaco.)
You've been busy this summer!
I hear you on the enormous sunglasses issue! It's my biggest dilemma of the summer. Wear the cute sunglasses and enjoy not having to squint? Or prevent that embarrassing suntan and put the sunglasses away??? I usually opt for the stylish sunglasses and deal with the horrible tan later :)
I think I need to get that sunblock stick! I always accidentally get sunblock in either Erin or Elaina's eyes, and if it's Erin I spend the first 30 minutes trying to get her to stop screaming AND to stop rubbing her eyes with her hand/arm which also has sunblock all over it!
We take our kids swimming together when I get back!
You're so funny! (And I don't mind you using the comment section of my blog to schedule either.) I feel like I am with you on the pool practices...I'll have to try the diving board-haven't done that in forever!!! :)
Post a Comment