Jun 19, 2010

All opposable digits UP

Just got back from "Toy Story 3". The kids and I saw it in 3-D to celebrate my birthday.

It was fantastic. I literally experienced every emotion in my repertoire while watching it. Talk about catharsis. It is hilarious, suspenseful, heartbreaking, heartwarming, scary, silly, beautiful, thoughtful ... and on and on. I don't think it's an overstatement to say that the trilogy of Toy Stories are epic.

I would go back and watch it again right now. I can't wait to add it to our family movie collection. I especially like the way Pixar gets the adult/kid formula right. Their movies work on an adult level but not through double entendres or inappropriate wink-wink jokes. Don't get me wrong - the Ken & Barbie plotline was a gutbuster - but I never felt like the jokes were out of line. Andy is still a good kid with a sweet heart, for example. And the message of loyalty and friendship and love is so touching.

And yet, I couldn't stop laughing either.

The animation, too, forged new ground. You'll never look at waste management the same way again. And the filmmakers obviously had fun "nodding" to other movies, like "Cool Hand Luke".

In conclusion, two words that point to my (perhaps) favorite part: Big Baby. You'll know what I mean when you see it ...

Here's a link to the New York Times review - A.O. Scott says *exactly* what I was thinking (ha ha) about the film without giving too much away.

6 comments:

J and M said...

This reminded me of your Alvin and the Chipettes review.............only because it was a review actually, no other similarities. I'm glad it was fun. I wonder if over-stim for Ellie?

Tracy Loewer said...

I love the Toy Story movies, and can't wait to see this one!

Becca said...

Oooh . . . GOODY. I am [almost] as excited to see this as I am to see THE LAST AIRBENDER in 3D in T minus twelve days!!!!!

Steph Thomas said...

You definitely make me want to go see it. Chris and Matthew will have to have a daddy/son day out and go see it, then maybe me...actually if I got someone to watch Allison that would be really fun to just take Matthew with Chris. We will have to work on that...after I get out of school:) My curiosity is so peaked.

Colleen said...

gotta see it... great review... and pixar does one movie at a time, and they GET IT RIGHT!!
How refreshing!

Elizabeth said...

Can't wait to see it with the Oliver ... he's very excited.