The day before Mother's Day, Gurgi had kittens. It was a bit of a surprise since we had only *known* she was pregnant for a couple of weeks. Annie and I were there for the entire birth process, and it was smooth and memorable. My kids have, of course, been in heaven tending the little feline babes since then.
While Gurgi was going into labor (marked by unusual howling that kind of freaked me out), I was Googling what to do. Various websites told me a litter could have between 3-5 kittens. Way to go, first time mom (we're now calling her Bristol, cause she's only a year old herself!) - you had FIVE.
We're approaching the 5th week mark and in another month or so, give or take a week, these sweet babies will be ready to find new homes. Or at least four of them will be. Fingers (and toes) crossed. I love them to death, but don't think our small home is equipped to deal with the collective energy of these five furballs long term.
That said, kitten energy is one of the sweetest forces found in our universe. Nothing beats it. I've absolutely loved watching them wrestle, loved snuggling with them, and loved watching them snuggle ... then wrestle, all of it.
My kids love the black kitten the best and call her Bubbsie, Lex Jr. and Annise, but my favorite is probably the chubby red one with a white tummy, the one we call Peaches. The other red one is named Ginger, and the two tabbies are named Rascal and Is-that-Rascal? Um, no, I didn't get to pick the names. But kid-chosen names are perfect in this situation since the names they've selected are temporary.
And you can enjoy that special energy too. Adopt one and we'll toss in the other three for free. (Also, the first one is free.)
10 comments:
We must come before they leave you. E will be in HEAVEN.
Wow --- a slightly belated birthday present. And who doesn't yowl horribly while giving birth? Oh, too much information? Sorry.
CUTE OVERLOAD! MUST SEEK SOMETHING GRATUITOUSLY DISTURBING AND HORRIFICALLY SURREAL! MUST WATCH ALF!
I have been hoping to see the kittens!!! Darling is an understatement....Poor Gurgi (Bristol)...does she get to stay?
Wish I could adopt a couple of those rascals....They look happy... and well socialized by Graham and Annie!
Showed these to Elin who said - I wish we could have kittens. Don't I know it girl! This is the best time when they are little and fun and cute and sweet. Hope you get some takers for cute free kitties!
Oh, man, I love those kitties!!! We had two, but those stinkers both took to peeing on my laundry, so they got sent to a farm. I'm not quite at the point where I'm ready for litter boxes again, but I sure wish I had some babies to play with again. I miss the purring!
Dad said " they really have long ears." We;re used to the Persian ears. I love their tummies and stripes and cuteness.
We need to come over and see them!!! Although Addi will not want to leave without one and her dad won't let her get one, so it could end in tears. She was up at 2 am this am telling me she wanted a kitten. I think she is hoping one of our cats will die since that is when she has been told that she can get one.
I thought that they had over-achieving ears, as well.
Would love to tickle those tummies.
Their antics are the best - the stray cat in our neighborhood had babies in our window well and it was so fun watching them grow up. The chasing, jumping, "fighting" - all of it - too fun! (these did not snuggle, mind you - had to watch from a distance!)
Post a Comment