May 4, 2011

It's the end of the semester

With regards to this blog, the end of the semester means:
a) I have time to post (especially while students are writing their final essay exams)
b) I am in the mood to clean up!

Let's start by 'cleaning up' this bunch of photos that I've had sitting on my desktop computer's desktop.

Minnesota stuff
I love this 'winter' map of my home state. And I love the word map of Minneapolis. 
The photo is of the Twin Cities from the air, post-Metrodome snow collapse.
Sometimes (okay, most of the time), the following thought hums through my mind: Your real life is waiting for you in Minneapolis. It's like a low-grade fever, except it makes me cold instead of hot.

Kind of depressing.

Especially since I won't be leaving this state for at least a decade.

I feel like I'm in the prequel to "Sliding Doors", a version of that Gwyneth Paltrow movie NOT starring Ms. Paltrow, where the heroine FAILS to step through the train's doors. I have been dreaming of moving back to my home state for sixteen years. But the funky oasis on the Mississippi keeps chillin' without me. (Literally chilling - it snowed in April. Brrrr!)


Bank Stuff
One of my visual hobbies is keeping track of signs of poorly-named banks. Unfortunately, my bank was purchased by a larger bank with this kind of lame name. I don't want to mention it here (identity theft alert!) but I am taking pictures of banks with non-bank names (First Convenience Bank? Oh, come on!) and someday soon I'll turn those pictures, including one of my bank, into a post. But I won't tell you which one is my bank.


Religious
When I taught a Sunday School lesson on the Sermon on the Mount, I created a looping slide show of various artistic representations of this famous Biblical story/scene. This painting is one of my favorites from that lot.

The building in the painting is the Provo, Utah LDS temple. Now, I've never really appreciated its style of architecture. But this soft watercolor rendition makes it *almost* beautiful to me.



 Typewriters
My mom had a red typewriter, just like this. (Do you still have it, Mom?)
Look - Tina plays the typewriter!


7 comments:

C said...

I love the bank! One of my favorite banks I've seen was in Beijing. It was named Wooribank. I'm sure it was a Scandinavian bank of some sort, but it definitely didn't translate into English well.

And, if you want to trade states, I'll do it.

Carl said...

Erin, it snowed in May.

Elizabeth said...

Oh you'll get to Minnesota one day, and you'll be so glad to be there. And until then, lovely Texas and its warmth will keep you strong. I can't wait to see you guys in June!

Fred said...

Your mother still has the red typewriter. It is protected and stored. Good things await you. And, before you know it you will be able to live wherever you choose.

Love.

Dad

J and M said...

Why is it that I seem to think southern Minnesota doesn't quite "count" as Minnesota (too dry and bland perhaps), and that those in Northern Minnesota are adventurous if they live by Boundary waters type stuff, but are BONKERS if they live by North Dakota. I also judge people from South Dakota as somehow less than Minnesotans. This is rather prideful and completely shallow.

J and M said...

Speaking of the Provo Temple and banks, Hugh Nibley once remarked that the Provo Temple looked like a bank. So there you go. JY

Becca said...

Wha? Posts on Erin's blog?

Hurrah! I love those word maps, too. I need to find one of Idaho with it's superiorly recognizable shape (what if you were from Colorado or Wyoming?)

I'm sorry you can't move back to MN. Truly. Aaaaarrrgh!!!

I think the Provo temple looks like a big fat birthday cake. Maybe it will get a facelift like its sister temple, Ogden???

Keep 'em coming!