Mar 28, 2008

Annie's first library card



Annie and I went to the Bryan library on Tuesday, and while we were browsing the children's book section, she grabbed one of those little pencils they keep near the computers for writing down Dewey Decimal numbers. Annie was painstakingly practicing writing her last name ... and Littlefield, being the lengthy name that it is, took some time.

After she had written the last letter, she said, "I want to get my library card now."

See, we had already tried to get it once, but they told Annie she had to be able to write both names legibly. At that time, she had only been practicing her first name.
But now she was ready. She listened attentively as the librarian explained the rules of the library, and then wrote her name on the application. She got to write it again on the card itself, although there was only room for Annie L. on that little line.

It was quite fitting that her first book checked out had Annie in the title!

7 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

I have heard that is a big step for kids. I am sure you were very excited and it was a big day for you as well. Congratulations Annie!!

J and M said...

We're surprised by Texas's seemingly stringent library card requirements (or by Lincoln's lax ones). Ellie has had a library card since she was two-and-a-half, and it's a good thing too, since Jonathan's card has over $70 in fines on it (lot's of books + trip to Ireland = lots of fines).

Janine said...

Awww...That is so precious! Annie is such a cute little girl.

C said...

CONGRATS ANNIE!

Anna M said...

What a fun development. The library is a world unto itself!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Becca said...

Who are you, monitor lcd? A smirk.

I want you to scan her library card so I can see how she writes her name! It is weird about the stringent Texas laws.

I am going to start a Heber J. Grant academy this summer for Truman: the sole focus being penmanship. Any motivating ideas for six year old boys to learn to LOVE writing? I'm not above bribery.