So I've been enjoying some comfort food this past week (not that I need illness as a reason to enjoy yummy food). Since this blog is also my journal (kind of), I wanted to make a list of tasty yum-yums that have helped nourish me. When future generations open the time capsule that is blogspot.com, this little record will be a cyber-shard from my kitchen.
On Monday - Cinco de Mayo - I wanted to make some Mexican food. When I tried to stand up and work in the kitchen, I felt faint. For real. Instead of eating homemade Mexican food, we went to Ninfa's.

I enjoyed my favorite: tortilla soup. I think the hot soup and garlic-laden sauce helped my cold a little bit!

Other things I've enjoyed:
Amy's canned soups, especially the lentil soup and the black bean & vegetable soup. I want to fill my food storage with cans of Amy's soup. In case of an emergency, I could happily eat these soups straight out of the can. Cold. They are that tasty. I dressed up the black bean soup one day with spinach at the bottom of the bowl (pre soup pour) and a sprinkling of pepper jack cheese on top. So, so good. The best canned soup I've ever had.

Butter lettuce. Hey, it's grown hydroponically. That sounds scientific and slightly back-to-the-future. I like how creamy the leaves are. You don't expect that from lettuce.

My favorite cereal is Corn Chex, but I can only eat this with 2% milk. It's the contrast between the milk fat and the corn crunch that makes this a yummy night-time treat.

Lindt has done a bad, bad thing. They've added Peanut Butter & Chocolate truffles to their line up. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups cower in the presence of these truffles. I, however, was not intimidated and easily defeated the bag. Not in one sitting, mind you. But the bag did not last long.

I also bought ingredients to make some guacamole this weekend. Nothing soothes a sore throat like avocado all mashed up (except a Ricola cough drop).

Orbit gum, with those absurd ads and mint combo flavors, has won me over. I keep several packs in my teaching bag so I'll always have a minty-fresh taste in class. I also discovered that they make my throat feel a bit better.

Red pears are worth their price. Annie and I love them. 1) They're beautiful and 2) they're scrumptious.

So what do you like to eat when you're sick, bored or hungry?
3 comments:
My thing is Ice Cream. I feel like after I put Matthew to bed, my treat for surviving the day is a bowl of ice cream. Even on days that it has been a pleasure being a mom I still think I deserve it. My favorite is Mint Chocolate Chip.
Salt and vinegar potato chips. Kettle Chips brand are the best, hands down. I've been known to eat an entire (big) bag in a single day.
I also like me some Amy's soups (I honestly don't know how people can cook with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom. Seriously, do they see what it looks like when it comes out of the can? Amy's semi-condensed cream of mushroom looks and tastes SO GOOD).
When I'm sick: hot soups and hot chocolate.
When I'm bored: sundry fruits and vegetables and/or cracker-type foods dipped in peanut butter.
When I'm hungry: nothing really beats a hamburger cooked outside, on a toasted bun with mayo, ketchup, lettuce and extra extra pickles. And if there's a strawberry shake and french fries handy, so much the better for my hunger.
Post a Comment