One surprising source of comfort: NBC's "The Office."

Sure, sure, some people like it. But I need it. Not because I'm addicted to television but because it brings me joy (yes, you heard me) even on dark days.
Some may worry that this is solace from a mediocre source. To them I say, I still have family, friends, and the gospel to help me. But when I need a laugh or smile (or smirk) at a strange time or tough moment, I can turn to Micheal, Dwight, Pam, Jim and the rest of the Dunder-Mifflin crew.
I loved the BBC version and was reluctant to watch NBC's version. I avoided it for a couple of years, actually. I turned up my nose at it (without even watching), because I assumed the American version would fall short of the British original.
I'm not the first critic to observe that fears of inferiority were unfounded, but once I realized my wrong thinking, I wasn't ashamed to admit it. NBC's version is just as funny but it's sweeter too and more lovable. And now I'm actually glad about not discovering the show right away because when I came on board, there were three seasons of shows to watch.
Don't pity me, people. I'm just being honest. In a time of pain, confusion and low mood (a Hill term), "The Office" has delivered ... and not just paper.

I like this picture because it shows "The Office" leads relaxed, like friends. Like my friends.
(But don't worry - I won't turn out like the recently convicted Uma Thurman stalker.)
7 comments:
erin, i agree with you! Often I watch reruns when I know I just need to get smiling! And last year my password was "jimandpam2007" - that's how pathetic my addiction is. Thursday is my favorite day of the week!
R really likes this show too-I think it's fun too, but have other favs that lighten my moods the same as this one does for you. Isn't it nice to feel the lift? Call me anytime if you want to get out and I can watch your kids. :)
Yay!! Another Office lover :)
I am regularly moved to tears by this program.
Allison has gotten me addicted to Dancing with the Stars which I watch online afterwards while I clean the kitchen or do some other kind of work but I haven't gotten into "The Office" yet, I am afraid if I do, then I will want to watch it every week and I have been watching way too much lately I think. However, I do try to do something like scrapbooking while I watch TV so I feel like I am doing something worthwhile or at least that is my excuse:)
The only reason I want caller ID, which we have yet to spring for, is so I can answer by saying "Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam"... and only selected few would get treated to that greeting!
Have you seen the original UK version? I was amazed at the similarities!
My TA showed a You-Tube clip from "The Office" when (I think it's Dwight -- ack, I don't watch the show but I have rabbit ear tv that doesn't work) won some award and is terrified to give his acceptance speech. Why my TA showed it is because he used a lot of jabbing hand-motions, pounding the podium and waving of his arms. Apparently, there are students of mine who think I do the same -- one finally asked one day "Why do you use your hands so much?" Why is your grade an F, I thought? Needless to say when you teach in an auditorium built for over 200 with 70 students I feel that hand gestures help to pull the student from row Z in just as much as row A. All my students did think "The Office" clip was pretty funny. I hope my hair is not as bad as Dwight's. (Rainn I think is is real name.) But see my blog about the bad hair cut I received and we'd be close competitors for worst hair style. :)
Post a Comment