Jun 25, 2009

Classics

Kyle is a music fiend. A popular music fiend. He knows all about the history of rock-n-roll and all its subsets. A very impressive mind file. During our time of cohabitation, gray CD-Rs seemed to reproduce uncontrollably. He was always burning or receiving or creating collections. It was ironic, then, when I realized that I actually missed those CD-Rs. I told this to Kyle with a laugh. Who can predict what will be important? I mean, I guess I can predict some of it, but that was a surprise.

Really, what I miss is Kyle's taste in music, his knowledge of what's happening, what's cutting edge. I care about popular music very much, and I loved having someone on staff who could be my own personal music specialist. If I wanted to hear it or hear about it, Kyle was the guy. I remember that one time I heard a story on NPR about a new band (new to me) that I liked, and within 24 hours, Kyle had me a copy of the album.

I have to Kyle to thank for introducing me to Beck, Spoon, David Bowie, the Beach Boys (as in giving them a serious listen), Son Volt, PJ Harvey, classic country (Hank Williams, Buck Owens, etc.), Okkervil River, Kula Shakur, Reverend Horton Heat, Radiohead, and probably like five dozen more amazing groups. He also showed the full scope of U2, The Beatles, Elvis and the Lovin' Spoonful. Also, I had never heard of the theremin before him.

What did I have before that? Well, ABBA from my family, Led Zeppelin from Jesse, Sarah McLachlan from myself, and assorted KCLD-inspired hits that St. Cloud offered. (When I think of "Safety Dance," I think of Sara's upstairs bedroom. When I think of Phil Collins' version of "Can't Hurry Love," it's the Lake George speakers I hear.) Allen introduced me to Lauryn Hill unplugged & made me give Wilco another notice; Todd showed me the way of Sufjan Stevens. My mother presented John Denver's clear tenor voice. From Texas A&M came Lyle Lovett. The thanks go on and on.

This summer, I've been doing some music acquisition of my own - trying some new things (Andrew Bird, the Bottle Rockets, Ingrid Michaelson, Explosions in the Sky), filling out iTunes, enjoying Prince B-sides courtesy of my Prince-tastic friend Rob, uploading my old school albums (Paul Simon!), realizing that Regina Spektor is more that just that one cool song with a B&W video (I love the whole "Begin to Hope" album), admitting that I really like Beyonce's "Crazy in Love," and falling in love with Spoon & Coldplay, after casually dating for a number of years. Now that the personal music specialist position has been downsized, I've had to take on new acquisition and R&D responsibilities.

All this listening, sorting and categorizing of music brings to mind an ongoing conversation Kyle and I used to have about this question: What makes a song a classic? Kyle believed that some songs were classics upon first listen (I put "Hey Jude," "Blackbird," "Beautiful Day" by U2 in this august category) while other songs masquerade as classics because they are merely familiar. "YMCA" comes to mind. Well, no it doesn't. Or shouldn't. Some songs become classics because of nostalgia or because they evoke a certain time and all of the accompanying feelings ("Video Killed The Radio Star," which I really like or Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar on Me," and yes, I'm using 'classic' somewhat casually) or because they get sampled ("Killing Me Softly," anyone?).

But some songs arrive trailing perfection. It is not repeated listening that bestows greatness for these gems. They are the sounds in the empty forest of fallen trees.

"Alphabet of Nations" by They Might Be Giants is one such song for me.

* I love the piano part. Really want to learn it. It's thrilling, all those big crashing chords. It's not complicated but it is very satisfying to my ears.
* It's clever lyrically ... yet simple too. Wow.
* The video is darling. The whole homemade aesthetic of "Here Come the ABCS" (the DVD that this song comes from) charms the socks off of me AND my kids
* The vocals really complement the crashing wonderful piano part

My only complaint is that it's way too short.

But a classic nonetheless.

Here's a link to youtube - you can see this wonderful video + another video from TMBG

I should add that TMBG's albums "Flood" and "Mink Car" are impossibly catchy and should be listened to as well.
I should also ask - politely - what song was an immediate classic for you?

11 comments:

Becca said...

Truman hates it when I sing "The Alphabet of Nations," and I actually hated it for the two weeks that it was playing in my mind on repeat every morning when I woke up. But isn't it fun to say "Qatar?"

My little sister Katie just introduced me to Ingrid Michaleson and I am loving her stuff.

This post is a quintessential Erin post: engaging (and poignant) personal background information to introduce the theme, a wonderful list of recommended samplings of stuff you like, musical sources cited, and a wonderful question for everyone to ponder, with possible (but not concrete) interpretations of the answer. All written so flowingly and warmly. I LOVE it!

"Pretty Boy," please don't come back.

Becca said...

PS- you forgot to own up to your shameful familiarity with The Carpenters entire repertoire :) (as I am counting down the days till I can play their "Christmas Portrait" album--ONLY SIX MONTHS TILL CHRISTMAS, PEOPLE! Are you ready?)

Erin said...

I am still waiting and pining for Rubeekah: Greatest Hits! I hope she follows it with a holiday album... maybe Rubeekah Sings the Carpenters.

Oh, I can dream.

Tracy Loewer said...

I find myself downloading or cranking old tunes on the radio so often that the kids are starting to ask if it's 'another classic'. Is that sad?

You've asked such a tough question! There are too many classics to name. To keep it short, I'm going to go with Back in the USSR by The Beatles and Africa by Toto (we also love the cover by Karl Wolf with the fun rap, except for the weird scatting or whatever - why'd he have to do that?), oh, and how about Happy Together by the Turtles, oooh, and The Boxer and Sounds of Silence by S&G.

Okay, I've gotta stop writing and go download some more music...So much music, so little time!

Cori said...

I personally am going to have to go with "Air Supply-Greatest Hits". It's either that or "Ace-of-Base". Because really, I'm all out of love and all that I want IS another baby.

Oh, and I second all the stuff Becca wrote about the quintessential Erin post.

Elizabeth said...

I remember YOU introducing me to PJ Harvey -- I thought before you were dating Kyle? Maybe you get credit for that one ... Anyway, I do miss music (especially since I just found my drowned iPod), but just ... books are more my addiction. I do totally agree to 1. missing you 2. loving this post in its entirety and 3. not wanting to look at Pretty Boy, pretty though he was, any longer.

Sara said...

I agree that this is a great post. However, I also want to request no more information about Safety Dance in the upstairs bedroom. We can just talk by phone for that one. :)

There are so many in this category for me - but I have to throw in that a fond memory I have of Kyle is watching some ice skating championship on TV - this girl was skating to a horrible orchestral rendition of Golden Earring's Radar Love, and Kyle and both looked at each other and said "Is that Radar Love?" I knew I could trust and respect his music taste after that...

Jennifer said...

I have a music fiend in my house, so I totally get the breeding CD-Rs thing. Music also magically appears on my ipod. Todd and I are going to collaborate on a CD for you.

We also love Andrew Bird in these parts. Watch this with your kids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HmkLu24w2o

Thanks for the TMBG link. Now I totally want a knit puppet of myself.

Anonymous said...

The kids and I watched TMBG videos yesterday. I think one of their classics is E Eats Everything. I have this vague memory of Scott and Kyle playing it - or maybe a song about Graham. Fun times.

When I think classic I think of American Pie.

Leila

BrianG said...

This is the very reason I am obsessed with Pandora radio.

I want to recommend some spanish songs you might not have heard:
http://www.pandora.com/music/song/la+luz+roja+de+san+marcos/el+ao+viejo - el ano viejo a classic song I heard every christmas on my mission that is forever burned in my brain.

Si Norte fuera el sur by Ricardo Arjona

Suenos Liquidos by Mana

Los Morochucos

Some English "Classics":

10 minutes before midnight by the Freddie Jones Band - I had a single of this my freshman year and played it constantly.

Nellie Mckay

1816, the year without a summer by Rasputina

Let's start a band by Amy Mcdonald

For Hallis by The Tiny

The soundtrack to Garden State

Kate Nash

Dresden Dolls

Susan said...

all this is so interesting to me, a musician but a visual not auditory performer. Like another reality.