Last night our FHE lesson was on strengthening our families. We had the Powers over, and after a brief lesson, we made family chains. Paper chains, mind you! Each person had four strips of cardstock, and we wrote or drew things we could do to make our families stronger. Then we created the aforementioned family chain with all of our contributions - for example, Annie's "Be nis" and Graham's "Go to the temple" with a knight drawn on the spire.
One of my strips read, "Continue to teach my children to work (patiently)," and this is one of my most important goals ... because teaching them to work is hard work. It takes more time and effort than doing it myself, as we all know, but the end result is worth it. Or should be worth it. I've seen that played out several times. Still, I have to remind myself of those end results when we're working together.
The whole morning had been work time, actually. Perhaps that's why I had work instruction on the brain later on. I made a list of jobs for everyone to do (Annie loves those lists & loves being able to cross off completed tasks!), including sweeping the front porch, carrying our air mattresses to the garage and putting them away, making beds, putting away laundry, picking up crayons ... the usual kid chore list. They managed to get the jobs done, though one thing I've noticed about Graham & Annie is that when I ask them to work, they play together beautifully! So beautifully that I don't like to interrupt them. Ha - good strategy, kids.
Actually, it isn't a strategy. It seems instead to be an example of one of the maxims I'm always spouting off, which is, work makes us appreciate leisure. (I also tell them, when they're "bored," that bored children need more work to do. Not a threat. More like truth. Work is a tonic for boredom.)
So they do a job, then play with toys. I remind them that the jobs are not done, and they slowly return to the command center, but distractedly do the next job and return to the toys. I don't mind the mix-n-match style of chores except that I have to keep on them about the list. Which I do. Mostly.
And finally, we were done. It was time to go to the pool, and the three of us headed outside with our towels and sunscreen in hand. I mentioned that yes, with their work, they had earned the promised allowance. (I'm doing a pay for work system here, with a weekly pay out. I admire the philosophy behind keeping allowance and work separate, and have thought through lots of combinations, but for my children - this summer - jobs for allowance feels right. Most jobs are worth a dime a day, though some "jobs" entail many tasks and are still worth a dime, i.e. Clear the playroom floor.)
Graham had been "saving" for some poptropica credits, so that he could buy a Medusa suit for his character. $2.50, and he had finally earned that.
As we were getting buckled in, Graham said, "Mom, you're the best!"
"Because you're getting your poptropica credits?" I asked somewhat suspiciously.
"No," he paused. It's obvious that I am the best for this very reason. "No, you're the best because you know what makes me happy."
Well, that's nice, I thought.
"I want to do something for you," he added sweetly, in that delightfully loving mood of his that somewhat unpredictably shows up. "Oh, I have it! You can go to DQ this afternoon and get whatever you want!"
"Are you paying?" I asked him.
"Me?" he blurted with a start.
"Well, are you paying for my DQ treat as a way to do something nice?"
"No, Mom. Don't you see? I'm telling you that you can go to DQ and get whatever you want, and that's my gift to you. You deserve it!" Then he kissed my elbow.
I just had to give him a big hug and laugh while we drove to the pool. And hey, he's opened up a whole field of gift giving for me. Just imagine Christmas - "Courtney, I want you to go to Hobby Lobby and get all the craft supplies you've ever dreamed of owning. On your tab, of course. You deserve it!"
9 comments:
Oliver has just started learning to "pick up that shoe" or "bring me that shirt" and it is sometimes trying, but also so sweet. Yesterday he wanted to help bake a cake, and his help ... not as helpful as he imagined. But the cake got baked! I love the gift giving --- Erin, treat yourself to anything you want from Red Door Spa! On you! :)
All five of us laughed out loud at this story this morning. Thanks, Erin.
Sometimes my gift giving can be pretty close to that, as I occasionally find gifts at thrift stores. Happy Father's Day Dad, here's a "How To Golf Like Tiger Woods" book - yes, if you need to know, it's from Goodwill. Actually, Courtney just reminded me that your dad offered to go back and buy that book on Memorial Day, when everything was 50% off. And then he wouldn't let me pay him back. So Fred bought my Father's Day gift for my dad. That's sad. :)
Elin has started to use the word "loved" rather than "used" when getting things from Once Upon A Child.
I'm a loser. I should at least pay for my own gifts that come from Goodwill. :)
That is SO sweet. I loved this. What a precious child always thinking of the wonderful things you deserve.
Andrew - you're not a loser sweetheart! Let's just hope that Erin and her new gift giving philosophy means that she has YOU for the Hill family gift exchange for Christmas and not me. Haha!
I really enjoy how Graham's brain works - I mean it makes PERFECT sense to him. That being said - next time you go to DQ to get a Buzzard - I mean a blizzard - buy yours and Annie's and then remind him of this very cost effect plan he came up with!
Andrew - definitely not a loser. In fact, it probably made my dad happy to be able to buy that book. Next year you need to see if you can get my dad to buy HIS father's day gift from you. That would really be a coup.
In our family, as you know, there is a pride in gifts that are a good deal ... and it's almost as if people like them more when they know that the giver didn't break the bank to buy the present.
So true - ah, the days of Marni getting hords of goodies when they were in Lincoln - what was that place called?
That's what you get for being raised on "Next to New" - literally, not just the shop name! I LOVE our awesome thrift and consignment shops - goldmines without handing over the gold!
I love hearing all of your family's comments. They make me smile. This talk though reminds me of the "loved" socks from thrift stores that one of my sisters has given in the past. LOL We really did love coming over and it was a great lesson and made me reflective on our family as well. Thanks soooo much! We all love your family and love being with you guys! :) (On another note, I have noticed that when my boys are not behaving or "fighting", in the past I have given them more chores in response to the "fighting". They have then gotten along so much better after-whether b/c they didn't want continued lists of more and more chores or for another reason??? Who knows? But I tell them, if you are just going to argue and fight, then I will keep you so busy that you don't have time to. LOL Such a nice mom am I?!!!
Post a Comment