This is a travelogue of sorts but one that terrified me ... perhaps terrorlogue is a better name.
On Monday morning, I woke up my kids early, 6 a.m. early, bathed them hurriedly, dressed them in clothes I had set out the night before - Wow! That's a first! - and herded them to our van. We were off to the airport in Houston for our midmorning flight to Minnesota. Breakfast was eaten in the car, though I tested Graham's blood sugar and gave him insulin before we started driving.
Most of the drive, Graham complained of being thirsty. Unfortunately, I did not have any extra beverages ... other than what he had already had. I suppose that's poor planning. Oh well - I was up half the night packing, assembling and getting everything else ready, so I can't really blame myself. I thought we had enough to drink but I didn't have extras in the carry on bag since airports no longer let travelers bring drinks past the security checks. Also, Graham sometimes complains in the 'crying wolf' way ... and yes, sometimes I think it's important to toughen him up. We all need to trot out the "When I was a kid ..." stories in these moments, right? ("When I was a kid, we didn't have any water to drink.")
I mention this thirst detail only to point out that Graham was not feeling well before we got to the airport. Perhaps something was off even then. On the shuttle van to the airport (we parked at an airport parking spot), he looked ashen and weak, so as soon as we got into the airport, I purchased him a bottle of water.
"Wow - lemon twist, Mom!" he said, happily glugging it down, even though he kept dropping his bag.
We made it through check in, navigated the security line (and with all of our stuff: lotion, insulin, laptop etc., we usually fill 7 of those gray plastic trays), and headed toward our gate, but Graham continued to feel sick. He was also behaving very strangely. Well, maybe "very" is too strong. Graham was jumping, twisting, falling and yelling, and although he does that kind of stuff on a regular day, it seemed off this day.
We had just a few minutes before our flight would be boarded, and I was called to the desk to receive my seat assignments. (They had to be changed because we had originally been assigned exit row seats.) The airline rep placed us in three separate rows, and when I protested that I had children, she softly suggested that I try to trade on the plane.
This is not a good situation for me. I am loathe to confront people in spite of or because of the fact that I'm boiling inside. At this moment, I think that she's being a lunatic and absolutely unfair. I think that it will be impossible for me to coordinate switching seats between three rows. I'm also annoyed because I have one DVD player and it cannot be split between three rows. So I don't know what to say.
I look back and see Graham sliding down a wall, and I call to Annie to watch him as I hurry back over. I am not proud to admit this, but I looked at Graham and said, quite firmly, "Are you goofing off? Is this a joke, Graham? This isn't funny at all."
He was rolling around looking for his shoe, and it made me feel scared that it was right next to his foot but he couldn't see it.
He said, "I feel weird to talk about sports now" in a slurred voice.
Okay. That's not goofing off. But I was very confused because our meter readers kept giving me very high numbers: 474 then HI which means above 500. In fact, I had given him insulin to correct the 474. His behavior, however, was consistent with low blood sugar. Sometimes extreme hypoglycemia looks like intoxication, and now, thinking back, I see that this is what Graham's behavior looked like. It's also possible that he was cycling downward for some unexplained reason - I don't think we will ever know if the meter was correct or not. Just another part of the guessing game that is diabetes.
Graham definitely knew that something wasn't right because when we first arrived at our gate but after he'd glugged the water, he asked me to test his blood sugar, and that isn't something he frequently requests.
I didn't realize that he was hypoglycemic at the time, however. I thought that he was having a brain aneurysm or something like that. I told the same airline rep that I needed to see a doctor and that we couldn't get on the flight. "Is he sick?" she asked, and as we both turned to look at Graham, he fell sharply, striking his head on the wall before falling on the ground.
"Oh no," she said, as I ran over to him and helped him down ... or up, actually. My poor boy was so confused. He kept smiling a crooked smile as though he was trying his best. I felt absolutely horrible that I'd made him drag his carry on all around our gate, trying to keep up with me, when he was clearly very ill. Sometimes I walk too fast and miss too much. We sat on the ground with me holding his head.
At this point, he needed to go to the bathroom. We tried to stagger across the open walkway but he could not stand up or even lean on me. He fell over in the bathroom entryway, and I could not keep him up. In fact, two flight attendants from a different airline ran over to ask me what was wrong. They quickly procured a cookie and O.J. and helped me get Graham onto the floor safely. Let's just say that I was more impressed with them than the rep from our airline.
Still, I do not judge. I don't know if I would be good in someone else's medical emergency. I barely made it through this one.
Needless to say, we didn't get on the plane. (I cannot imagine trying to deal with this in three separate rows. What a nightmare!)
Graham was lying on the ground by our carry on bags, resting his head on Annie's stuffed dog. I was crying and Annie gave me a very tender hug, then we both tried to help him. The helpful flight attendants said, "Keep talking to him, keep him talking," so Annie rubbed his shirt and said very sweetly, "Graham, tell me about the Spiderman 4 villains. Who are they?"
(This absolutely touches my heart because Graham has been focused on those villains this past week to the nth degree and we have heard the list many, many, a zillion times. Annie already knew that he would say Carnage, Electro, the Lizard and possibly the Hobgoblin. Annie knew just what to ask him ... and she said it with love and kindness.)
During this time, this time of crossing eyes and delirious looks, the EMTs were called, and the first two arrived. Again, I'm no medical pro, but I have a strong feeling that I wouldn't look at a pale, sick boy, near unconsciousness, stretched on the ground or at his teary-eyed mother, blathering about diabetic meter readings and then say, with a drawl straight out of Hollywood, "Well, I don't quite know what we can do for you. Did he have a good breakfast?"
"Yes, yes," I said. "He ate some chicken and milk and a biscuit. That's not the problem."
"He's a type 1 diabetic," I added urgently, but the man did not seem to understand what that meant at all. Average Joe probably doesn't know. Heck, I didn't know three years ago. But this was an EMT. I'm guessing that he should have or would have encountered an unstable diabetic before. Thankfully, the next two EMTs arrived and these fellows were Houston firefighters. They knew what they were doing. They roused Graham from his eye-fluttering slumber and tried to engage him with questions. They noticed that his speech was slurred and they tested him again. His BG had dropped from HI to 128 (a huge, bizarre drop) to 68 in a matter of minutes. And it kept dropping ... 47 in the ambulance and 43 in the hospital after a glucose IV.
Once he was at the hospital, things got a bit better. The glucose IV did the trick and he came out of the confused state. It still took hours, however, to bring his blood sugar up to 78. In fact, he was on that IV for over four hours before the level rose. (That's very unusual, perplexingly unusual. Even the ER doctor did not know why Graham's BG was hovering in the danger zone.) Kyle's parents arrived, and then Kyle arrived. Graham perked up and asked at least 50 times if the IV could be removed. The nurse was a good sport about it, and even brought him a plate of boiled turkey and steamed veggies for lunch.
Then the Littlefields went out and brought him back a cheeseburger and milkshake. Much better.
One of the miracles of the day was that I was able to find a wireless connection in the hospital just long enough to get the airline phone number. After a couple of calls and some pleasant requests, we were able to get on the last flight from Houston to Minneapolis on Northwest. The customer rep made sure I knew that he was "making an exeception" and had to get a "waiver", but it all worked out.
Of course, at this point, we had no faith in the meter, and the Littlefields took me by Walmart to buy another one before boarding the plane. (I'm still not sure if it was wrong or not since I tested him on the new and old meters multiple times to see if they matched ... and sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't.)
So many little details that add up to some kind of meaning.
I cannot complain too much of feeling alone this past year because for a single mother, I sure have a lot of people helping and supporting me - in laws, Kyle, my family, friends galore, thoughtful ward members, friendly people at school. But at the airport, I felt startlingly alone, frighteningly alone with only passive workers and busy travelers. I had to make the call and figure out what the best course of action was. I feel sad that I didn't see the hypoglycemic symptoms for what they were even earlier. I feel guilty that I was annoyed Graham couldn't find his shoes. But I am grateful that all turned out fine, and for those hours in the ER, we were there as some kind of patched together family. But those hours before the hospital were among the worst - and by that, I mean alone - in my life.
And then we flew off to be with people who love us. Life is good, even when it's hard.
11 comments:
What an ordeal! I'm sorry you had to feel so alone, Erin. When I was in a car accident at Christmastime, and Joshua was semi-conscious and bleeding in the back seat (he had pulled off the shoulder strap and hit his head on the back of my seat), I felt very much the same way, and it's the worst feeling in the world. I was a blubbering mess when someone stopped, and not much better by the time paramedics arrived.
It didn't help that they strapped him to a board in a neck brace and he kept screaming "I'm going to die. I can't breathe. I'm dying mom." All the way to the hospital and until after the x-rays came back and they took off the darned brace.
Not one of my better moments, let me tell you.
Oh Erin it sounds awful, truly awful, and you already hate flying so much. I don't know where to start. The insane gate attendant? The clueless "pardner" EMTs? Annie's incredibly touching outreach to Graham? The horridly inconsistent meter readings? I'm just so sorry it had to happen to you and Graham, and very, very sorry about you being so alone at that moment. I'm very thankful the Littlefields were close by --- and knew the right thing to do (milkshake and burger!).
OOOhhh my gosh!! You passed a very tough no-rehearsal-or-advanced-notice real life test! Truly grateful it ends happily in Minnesota........I will now let out the breath I was holding as I read your thriller....xoxo c
All I could think was, even though it was awful, at least it happened just a few moments before boarding the plane. Thank goodness Heavenly Father is always looking over us and it happened when you were still in the airport where you could get the assistance that you needed (even if some of them were a bit clueless). So sorry you had to go through it but once again, I saw your strength come through while reading about it and I couldn't imagine being in your situation. I admire you so much because you admit to those moments that we may not be proud of! I had a very similar reaction to my sister about 5 years ago when she did something stupid...I thought she was faking and kept telling her to stop. Later that night she was in the hospital getting her stomach pumped. Miss you Erin!
What an incredible event for you all and one that I know many people can get help and inspiration from! I have had those moments of feeling terror, like your stomach turned in knots because you just don't know what to do or where to turn. But you made it though...you did it! You have absolutely learned what to look out for in case Graham has any other episodes like this one. I find comfort in this and can see how others dealing with diabetes can learn from this difficult situation. I'm so glad you are with loving family now and that Kyle and his parents could be there in the hospital. What a precious Annie for being that angel that was needed at that time! We love you and your sweet family, Erin, and am so glad Graham is doing better. I so love how you can take an experience you had and really make everyone feel that they were there, seeing everything, feeling every emotion...lovely airport courtesy, yet at the same time loving people to come to your aid. Your difficult experience is so real, yet uplifting in the end, and that's what makes me feel like I can get through my trials, small though they may be. Enjoy your trip!
Oh, Erin! I cried through this whole post. Tender hearted Annie, sweet Graham trying to be cheerful trough the whole ordeal, Superhero Erin! As if traveling alone with children isn't difficult enough. It sounds to me like you handled things as gracefully as could be expected of anyone. I'm thankful things got resolved before you got on the plane, that Kyle and the Littlefields were there at the hospital, that you had a competent EMT (eventually) and that you are now enjoying Minnesota. I love you and your sweet kids, Erin. Have a fun time.
You poor girl. I'm praying for you and your kids Erin. My Mother was a single Mother of 4 kids for many years, so my heart goes out to any mother that has to do it alone, especially in an airport. Erin, when you get a moment, can you email me the words to the song you wrote for Primary? I believe it's called, "The Lord's University". I would like to teach it to my primary kids. Take Care and enjoy your trip. ixchellenalin@gmail.com
Oh my.
The airport is a nightmarish place to begin with.
I feel like I was there with you, you described everything so well. I wish I had been. Oh, my Erin, you are so brave and good and strong. And those kids of yours are amazing. Annie! What a sweet comforter! And Graham! Trying to smile and be brave even though he didn't know what was going on.
I agrees with "Debs" who admires you for sharing moments you may not be proud of.
I hope your trip is giving you the rest and power-up that you surely need.
PS- My word verification is "sesspol." I hope the airport in Minneapolis for your return trip is not a sesspol.
Erin, I cannot think of a more nightmarish scenario than trying to make a flight in Houston airport with two kids in tow. But the people in the seventh circle of hell would cringe at what you had to endure. I'm sorry you and Graham had such a bad experience. That is very scary too. I'm glad he's okay. Thank goodness for Electro, the Lizard and the Hobgoblin. Annie truly is a noble soul. She's like Lucy from TLTWATW (the lion the witch and the wardrobe).
P.S. This is Allen, not Becca (I can't remember my stupid password). JK LOL :*) %') &:)
Oh Erin I am so sorry you had such a bad beginning to your vacation! You are so strong, more than you give yourself credit for! It is so difficult to feel so alone when you really just need another adults input. Like you think, can't someone else make the decisions for me, am I really in charge? But you are wonderful and Graham ended up in good hands to get the care he needed. How crazy about the different readings! I am sure it was just surreal and you were wondering if it was really happening. You made it through it and your trip home will seem so VERY uneventful in comparison! Miss you!
Post a Comment