Jul 16, 2009

One of a Kind




Today is Marni's birthday, and she deserves much celebration. Truly, Marni is unique, gifted, smart, deep & cute as a button.

In honor of Marni, an acrostic -
(yes, my tongue is in my cheek, but while she deserves a sonnet, Shakespeare wasn't available) 

M - mother supreme: Marni is an advocate for her children and all children!
A - artist, quirky & fun: we all love Marni's drawings & sketches, which means we all love her wonderful view of the world. One of my favorites works of her art is a sketch of a creature saying (to me), "Eat meat, veg head!"
R - relationship guru: Marni wouldn't pretend to be a master, but she truly is a student. She learns, studies and applies what she knows about human behavior and human relationships which = a great person to talk to about families, children, spouses & life.
N - nimble of finger and brain: Marni can build and assemble and create things. She has flexible lips. She is at least 1/4 engineer, and easily the sister most likely to build a volcano. I envy Miles' future pinewood derby cars.
I - interesting: To me, this is one of the highest compliments I can pay to a friend. And the adjective is perfectly applied to dear Marni. She is a thinker, a talker, a contemplator. With Marni, one does not have a run of the mill experience. She is not a lemming, running off the cliff. She simmers together all of her life experiences, her feelings, her worries, her fashion sense, and then she shares. Also, she used to (begrudgingly) share her olive green suede Banana Republic loafers with me. I've never met anyone else with such shoes! (I was as sad as Marni when gasoline was spilled on them & they had to be thrown out.)

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Lovely sonnet! I remember those shoes - but I do not recall "Eat Meat, Veg Head" - how could I have missed that brilliant catch phrase. I think this summer we should all say that ... I mean if you had my eating restrictions there is NO way you could be a vegetarian. Then again, I'm probably in the middle between the two of you because unlike Marni would would order steak at something like Outback Steak House, I order chicken wild-rice soup. This is so true in life as well - when I auditioned for Brother Luke at Ricks College before I even SANG he said to me: Who are you more like, Erin or Marni? Stunned I meekly answered "Um, I think I'm like a mix of the two of them." I do not have Marni's technical abilities but I can perseverate with the best of them (meaning the 2nd born in our family) :) It always helps to be the younger sister of two brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fun, and zany women - people will just naturally assume you're like them. (Bonus for me!)

Happy Birthday Marni!

Elizabeth said...

Great sister photo --- I love your sister photos, courtesy of your mom. And happy birthday, Marni!

J and M said...

Erin,
You are kind. It is interesting to see the world as others view it (and of course not all lame things about the birthday person are voiced, but known).............and I appreciate it! I had forgotten about eat meat-veg head. I hope I had a smiley face next to the SHOUT-esque quality of the phrase.

That being said, I would indeed wither without meat. I can go 3 days and start feeling as though my bone marrow is gone. Weird.

I loved those shoes. I didn't remember what happened to them, but they were so soft. Sorry I begrudged it, you are more generous than I/me (?).

As for interesting...........I dont' usually think of myself that way since my interests seem to be so few (muscles/bones/feelings/children/alternativemedicine/god). I think of YOU this way. Perhaps we take the good pieces of us and cast them to others, if so I should have a fascinating mind (thanks to you!).

(: thank you and I love you.

Becca said...

Who spilled said gasoline???

What a great tribute, what a sweet sister, what a hilarious first photo!

Susan said...

Amazing at the fragments we all remember. As I drove to work this morning I had all the memories of summers when you were all home. No music lessons, but soccer, swimming, cookies, friends over.... ah those were the days. And of course finding bargains with clothing money for each.