I haven't watched TLC's "What Not to Wear" in, wow, 2.5 years. TLC was one of the cable channels in our DISH package (in my old life), and I spent more than one Friday night and/or late night grading session with Clinton and Stacy on the television screen helping hapless dressers find their style. One of the mantras of the show (at least back then) was to find styles that worked for the participant's particular body/shape/size, regardless of the trendiness of the styles. So if a gal looks best in oxfords, then by all means, she should wear oxfords, even if scoop-tees happen to be all the rage.
I've taken that counsel to heart (or at least to Target). I mean, I'm still a sucker for graphic prints, soft white shirts (though the color washes me out) and patterned t-shirts, but I'm better at sticking with what suits me than I used to be: flat front pants, A-line knee-length (not longer) skirts, wrap-around dresses, v-neck necklines, jeans with flared legs.
Speaking of Target and styles and "What Not to Wear" rules, I think I found something else that works for me ... at Target ... yesterday. I have a favorite pair of dressy jeans and another pair of black dress pants and both are too big. They're unflattering, actually, because of the way they fit, sagging in such a way that my backside looks like it's coming at ya in a vehicle's side mirror. (Note: this almost NEVER happens to me and I owe it all to the horrible ab machine that lurks in the corner of my gym.) So I went to Target to see if I could find some black dress pants. I found a pair of houndstooth-ish dark gray dress slacks with a flat front and flared legs on sale. And next to the pants rack was a shirt rack. And hanging from that shirt rack was a enticingly soft heather gray long-sleeved dressy t-shirt with a cowl neck. It called out to me, and it sounded just like Stacy London. "Yes, dear shirt," I whispered, "I'll buy you as well."
I bought the shirt yesterday. I wore it to teach my afternoon classes yesterday. I also wore it to work today. I'm fully prepared to wear it again tomorrow. I may never take it off. I've fallen in love with this cowl neck. See, I don't have an enviable figure (though I'm definitely trying to do my part on the elliptical), but I think I have attractive collarbones. Ha! From the collarbones on down it's average all the way, but my general neck region ain't too bad.
I think the shirt and its wavy neckline actually reminded me of this beautiful dress Halle Berry was wearing at some movie premiere (see above, just in case you couldn't tell the difference between the pictures of me and the picture of Halle Berry). I am definitely adding this neckline style to my Stacy & Clinton-approved list!
p.s. I should mention that I'm not giving up the white tights, Mary Jane shoes or french hook earrings, no matter what, not even if (gasp!) Stacy and Clinton told me to. Oooh. I guess I could go to cream tights if they insisted.



7 comments:
You crack me up. :) It looks great. BTW, you also have great ankles and feet (don't mean to be creepy, but as a stocky-ankled girl I noticed). :)
I also like the color coded bookshelf. I usually sort by genre then by height, but your selves look really cool that way. Humm...
Mary Janes totally remind me of you--glad you added them to your approved clothing list.
The picture where you are showcasing the cowl is very Binoche.
And Leila, your comment made me laugh. (And you do have nice ankles, Erin).
I must concur with both above ladies - good ankles and legs were something we Hill girls were blessed with. I have had near strangers tell me how good my legs are and how they have "cankles" I term I had not previously heard. Shapely genetic ankles and calfs - plus lots of dance and soccer make for pretty bottom level. And this is a GREAT top level for you - nice shirt. I could not wear this currently but I need to find a really good bra - that might help. Don't let go of white tights, mary-janes and hoop earrings, they are PART of you and what make you - YOU. Though I think it best not to return to your mid-high school look of fish net stocking covered in pettycoats (as the skirt.)
Ooh by the way, I was at mom and dad's getting dressed to teach my class last night and caught part of "Say Yes to the Dress" a show that usually is quite stupid but one of the brides had Stacy London as her bridesmaid - and Stacy was giving advice not only to her friend but other women in the store as well. Very interesting to listen to and see what she liked on various women of all kinds of sizes and shapes. And SPOT on!
Love the shirt and it looks great on you. You're getting more gorgeous everyday, so please share your tips for the rest of us...
Just don't get hooked on Say Yes to the Dress --- super dorky. Love your style
I love that top on you! And can tights and Mary-Janes ever really go out of style? I think not.
Post a Comment