I've been following those sites and that trend for a good long while now. It's not that I thought I had exhausted the trend or sites that feature the trend, but I hadn't stumbled on anything new in what seems like forever (this semester). In internet time, the need for speed is crucial. Have y'all heard of Cyber Time? Me neither. But it seems like it would be a measurement of the collective attention span of internet users. "Give us something new five minutes ago!" we scream out.
Thank you, Sue. Someone on your FB page mentioned this site. It's the "new" I "knew" I needed! I liked the sound of it right off the bat - whitewhine.com - because it echoed one of my all-time favorite websites, stuffwhitepeoplelike.com. (Speaking of, that site has a great Christmas gift guide up - it suggests that a never-fail stocking stuffer for a white person is anything with the name Tom's on it. LOL! Yeah, pass me some socially responsible shoes with my gross toothpaste, Mr. Elf!)
Something that reveals privilege, comfort, lack of "real world" skills and/or awareness or general clueless self-delusion seems to be the bread and butter here, like, "I am so bummed that nothing has come of that "Arrested Development" movie. It was bad enough they canceled only the best show ever after three seasons, but this delay is practically criminal!"
Yes, I've been watching "Arrested Development" on hulu while I wrap gifts. Man, that show WAS the best.
I loved reading the actual White Whine submissions on the site, but I also loved the way my own ears and brain started picking up on and creating "submissions" just for me, and all this after just one day with the site in my heart. At the mall last night, I heard this gem while walking past a kiosk in the parking lot, "I can't believe you're out of the caramel pecan kettle corn! I don't want the kind without nuts!" Hmm. It's actually possible that someone buying food in a parking lot isn't *quite* the person White Whine is trying to feature.
This works, however. While getting my hair done, another salon patron was griping at the front desk because the credit card machine was out of order and the salon was only taking checks or cash: "I don't understand why you would expect me to bring cash to my appointment here. I do not carry cash with me. Am I going to have to call someone?" (She said "cash" as though someone were asking her to carry hazardous waste with her. Yeah, call your butler, ma'am!)
I even read one lady ranting on Facebook about how disgusting her Turkish Delight candy tasted. Get a life, clueless mama. Boo hoo about your expensive imported candy. This same lady was going on about how she had to ride in the "way back" of this Suburu Forester on the way to eat at a fancy new sushi place. (Wait, that was someone I know ... and in her defense, she was actually happy to sit in the back and they ended up eating at a greasy burger joint, a chain called Culver's.)



2 comments:
You are hysterical. I love Culvers by the way. Try always to get there when in MN or passing through some other midwest state (like exit 92, Elkhart Indiana). :) also, I love Arrested Development and check it out of the library on a semi-routine basis to watch. I am surprised lately by all the white whine I observe. Plenty of other colors of whine in my neck of the woods too. :) Maybe someone needs to start a thankfulness blog or something...
Love this--I am so aware of whines until they issue from my mind--maybe this is my new year's resolve.
Post a Comment