May 3, 2011

"Courage to be imperfect"

I'm wondering why fear/inauthenticity/covering up is so often my default mode in certain situations? Why so much facade building? Is it fear of losing connection/friendship/status that drives me/us? 

I have a feeling I need to practice more role-playing, just to get used to sitting with feelings of discomfort that come when I knock down the facades and engage in genuine interactions, especially with my students.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Erin - you really need to read Rachel Remen's Kitchen Table Wisdom and My
Grandfather's Blessings.

Also - I highly and personally recommend Sarah Ban Breathnach's "Simple Abundance" - I did the book and activities, then just got the workbook and am doing it again - it's all about being authentic in who you are - in so many elements of your life, your thinking, your style, your body, your being. Get them - or I'll find you some at thrift stores - I bought the brand new hard cover workbook - no markings, nothing, for 94 cents last week, and then got it for 25% off. What a deal, what a steal!

C said...

I'm just reading Brene Brown's newest with Matt. I have tried to implement some of her strategies and it is a breath of fresh air. Courtney, I'll look at those books, too! Thanks for sharing.

Becca said...

I just love the quote/artwork/graphics! So aesthetically pleasing!

Carl said...

Have you read "Good Old Neon" yet? Here's the first sentence, to start you off: "My whole life I've been a fraud."

Susan said...

I'm reading the Dalai Llama " The Art of Happiness" He is truly authentic.

Courtney said...

Have to laugh - saw Carl's post and thought, hmmm I'll check out his blog. 1 single post - last (only) updated 2005. So I find I'm quickly back to Erin's blog. :)

Carl said...

Sorry, Courtney! Check back in 2015!