Mar 24, 2009

Bat Mitzvahs at any age

This story (I have hyperlinked the previous two words, even though it might not appear so when you're viewing the post) cheers the heart - a group of friends, all in their 90s, finally having the Bat Mitzvah that did not happen in their girlhood years:

Ann Simon is worried she might forget all the Hebrew words she has memorized to become a bat mitzvah, a Jewish girl marking the transition into religious adulthood. The first thought Millie Danziger Fromet, 90, had about the service was that it would be fun. Belva Singer, 91, spoke on
the power of the Birkat Kohanim, the ancient Priestly Blessing. Ms. Simon is no 12-year-old, though. At 94 she can be forgiven her fear that she might be seized by a senior moment or two as she stands on the bimah on Sunday to recite the section of
the Torah that was read in synagogue on the Saturday closest to her 12th birthday. So can the other nine women who will take part in the bat mitzvah ceremony at the service in the synagogue of the Menorah Park senior residence in this Cleveland suburb.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I did love that article ...

Becca said...

Oh, that's very sweet. And it highlights my ignorance of Judaism--I thought only boys had bat mitzvahs???

I mean, I have read "The Chosen," like, FOUR times and never picked up that girls went through the ceremony as well. :)