Mar 5, 2009

Red Bud trees

Nothing makes me happier in the early weeks of a Texas spring than spotting Red Bud trees. They are a harbinger of the season, more indicative than groundhogs, for sure.

We like to try to count the Red Buds when driving around town.

Why do you like them so much?" asked Graham and Annie the other day.


"Well, Red Buds surprise me, since they bloom from what look to me like regular trees. It's hard to tell which tree will be a Red Bed until the dark pink petals show up," I started to explain.

"Actually Mom," interrupted Graham, "I think I know why you like them so much. I like them too."

This painting captures the color quite nicely.




5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

If Graham likes them, that's reason enough for me (and you, surely!). :)

Susan said...

Texas has much beautiful foliage. And we miss Wayne who loved it too.

Susan said...

Texas has much beautiful foliage. And we miss Wayne who loved it too.

Becca said...

As we drove home last night, going about 25 mph on the highway between Fish Creek Pass and SS in a blizzard, barely able to see the road markers, I turned to Allen and said, "I think the bluebonnets are out in Texas right now."

BrianG said...

The redbuds here come bloom near the end of March and it is always a good sign that the gloom of winter is over. It has been a cold, windy winter and I am so looking forward to warm spring weather.