Mar 17, 2009

Planting

We're doing some planting round our parts ... and the Aggie BigEvent kids are coming in a couple of weeks to scrape paint. I'll repaint the trim, the landlord will fix broken tiles, I'll paint the door, he'll put a screen door on the back, and we might just have a livable house on our hands.

Yesterday when I was trying to corral my kids to the van so we could purchase flowers, herbs and potting soil at the nearby market, Annie got frustrated.

"I don't want to go to the Fruit Punch," she said.
"The Fruit Punch?" I asked.
"I mean the Pumpkin Patch," she said, a bit more frustrated.
"The Pumpkin Patch?"

"Mooooom ... the store with the free bananas."

"The Farm Patch? Well we're going. Hop in!"

We bought basil, apple mint, cat nip (yay!), cilantro, parsley, lavendar, plus some flowers, decorative grasses and a yellow shrub to put in the front beds. Annie chose some pink and white flowers to be her plant, and Graham chose a hearty rosemary plant to be his. Last spring, Graham chose a creamy colored gerbera daisy (named Vanilla) and Annie chose some bright hydrangeas (named Pinky), and they tended them all summer. I don't yet know the names of this year's kid plants, but they sure look & smell good.

And yes, Mr. Sam did give the kids their free bananas!

Lexei & Knight enjoy sitting on the front porch, and will really enjoy their catnip plant!


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh I am so jealous of your green thumb. Will you plant something this weekend? And then come back every week to water it? Our yard is ... well, abandoned. But we can come help paint!

Becca said...

I'm with Graham--rosemary is the yummiest, the prettiest, and the most long-lasting. Nice choice, Mr. G!