I found this article touching & inspiring - everything I've ever read about prison reform (and I've read a fair bit in student research papers over the years) indicates that these kinds of programs, whether they be gardening or dance or music or art, reduce the rates of recidivism in prisoners. Unless we plan on incarcerating people for life, never to let them leave, we must continue to treat them as human beings on some level ... or else society will pay on their releases. (Now, that I learned from 'The Shawshank Redemption'!)
I especially loved the passage about the prisoner who asked to be transferred to Volterra because it was the place to do theater. What a cultural difference. Can't imagine prisoners at Leavenworth vying for the role of Hamlet. Do I underestimate American prisoners?
3 comments:
After the Henry Gates arrest, I am rethinking EVERYTHING I think about the American Justice system. It does seem that TWO forms of ID with your photo and the address might should be enough ...
Have you seen the video of the Filipino inmates dancing to Thriller (complete with inmate-in-drag girlfriend)? It's at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o
Let me know what you think! JY
I saw that Marni - it certainly is, unique. I wonder why chain gangs were done away with - is that not motivation enough not to be rearrested?
There are prison animal programs as well - where prisoners train guide dogs, and the animals additionally help the prisoners.
One of my professors was in prison as a young man, read "The Power of Positive Thinking" and turned his life around because the Penitentiary had a school release program and he took classes at St. Cloud State University. In fact he took classes from Scott Bryce, my mentor - amazingly years, later these two men sat together on my Master's Thesis committee!
Post a Comment