Aug 13, 2009

Benton County Fair

I've been to the county fair many a summer. The Hill Family Singers performed many a show. Marni, Courtney & I competed with "In the Mood" at the talent show after Graham was born in dresses from Ragstock. It is not unfamiliar to me. Its cheese curd charm is something I was looking forward to during my visit.

But something different was in the air this year. The fair walk-roads were paved. Hmmm. There was a sink washing station so our hands could be clean. The little stage now had covered audience seating. Beautiful potted plants were everywhere.

Are they classing up the Benton County Fair?


I guess this picture answers that question with a resounding yes. Cut-out flower pictures are shorthand for a classy fair!

However, the gritty/depressing charm the fair has always conveyed was still there. Still plenty of heavily tattooed, gruff smokers toting babies in unsafe positions. Still plenty of rickety rides like The Zipper and The Coffin. (Just kidding. That's not its name, only its purpose!)

My dad was gettin' jiggy wit it on the fairway. That's what a Dairy Queen milkshake will do to you. Dairy Queen as in a central Minnesota lass selling creamy shakes from a cart.


I'm only sad we didn't get to take any old-timey photos. The running joke (well, I thought it was funny) was that next year, we would set up a booth to give away Jillian Michaels' hormonal health/weight loss books. I say that as someone who totally needs the benefit of what she teaches about healthy, balanced eating as a catalyst for improved metabolism. It's just that a fair brings out so many poorly dressed people. Poorly dressed for their body types. Clinton & Stacy could do a lot of good work at the fair.

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love the fancy floral picture -- Graham is CLEARLY getting too cool for this kind of stuff, not so you and Annie! And yes, fairs to tend to feature so many unfortunate ... well, they are still fun!

Courtney said...

I didn't miss the cheese curds, cotton candy or mini donuts, but I would have wept knowing that you all tried the various flavors of delicious, thick and creamy malts. Oh my goodness yum. Do you recall getting random stickers and bumper stickers from the various vendors, and we thought it was so cool.

Becca said...

Oh, I love the fair! It's so fun to go to your own county fair and see all the peop--er, exhibits and booths.

"Do they live here?"

I do actually love seeing all the new faces and rubbing shoulders with my tattooed neighbors :).

I have big plans to enter some canned goods next year . . .

J and M said...

Perhaps Clinton and Stacy would have taken me? (: The malts were so so delicious!!!!!!

Elizabeth said...

HEY! I love the new photo --- but where are YOU??? Great, great picture, though ...

Erin said...

Look a little closer at the flower cut out. I'm the chipper bloom at the bottom :)

Elizabeth said...

No, I see you in the fair photos, silly --- I meant awesome new headline (masthead?) photo. then I thought you were saying you were hidden in the lake or something ...

Tracy Loewer said...

Oh, I love the fair! My sister just took the kids to the one in Saskatoon, but I missed it because I was with my girlfriend who just lost her husband (so, doubly sad to have missed it).

There's something about din of the rides, sleazy carnies working the games, the eclectic mix of artisans and performers, mixed with the smell of deep fried food, steam engines and horses that brews its own special kind of magic. It's a one-of-a-kind atmosphere!

Anna M said...

Ode to county fair memories.