Believe me, there are more graphic images of the adrenal gland available on google images. Be glad I posted this one. Why did I even post this picture, you ask?I have come to a self-diagnosis of adrenal fatigue. When I described my symptoms during our family vacation, Marni commented that Jon had experienced the same thing. Also, three nights ago, I fell asleep at 8 p.m. (as though I literally could not stay awake) and slept until 7 a.m. The good thing, I finally felt rested when I woke up. Two days ago I "woke up" in my kitchen, hunched over a chair. I thought I had been draining pasta, but somehow went down for a nap. It is very common for a curtain of (mental) darkness to descend on me in the early evening. It's like my brain is a laptop and the battery is running low. My real laptop gives a message that it will shut down to conserve power; my brain sends the same message, often between 8 and 9 p.m. If I try to tell stories or read books after the shut down has started, words are mixed up and all meaning is lost.
(Last night's story was a quickie I made up about Spiderman. Spiderman vs. Goblin. They were listening & I blathered on. Then I heard Graham say, "Sandman? What are you talking about? It's goblin, Mom!" Oops. I was talking in my sleep and confused the villain.)
The fatigue symptoms include feeling tired when I wake up after a full night's sleep, regular exhaustion, a feeling of lethargy at times. Weirdly enough, I am on the go a lot. But I when I pause, I feel like I need to sleep. For example, I really like and want to play board games with my kids but several afternoons I have not had the energy to stick with a game. If things settle down and it gets quiet, my eyelids start to droop. If we snuggle in on the couch, I want to sleep.
Yes, I agree. This sounds normal. Totally normal. Not just normal, but common! I'm guessing that many many adults live with adrenal fatigue on a daily basis. Stress can be a factor. I think I operated at a high level of stress during the 2008-2009 school year, and perhaps "burned out" my adrenals. Poor adrenals. Who knew that living by chocolate would not only wreck my waistline but also these tiny glands attached to the kidneys?
The good news is that I'm starting a new eating plan in September. Very excited about it. The first "plan" that I've ever felt truly excited about. It is vegetarian friendly and hunger opposed. This could be a good combo for me. I also want to incorporate regular exercise into my life, not just fast walking across campus so that I'm not late to class. I am also attending a healthy living class at church. I don't know how healthy it's made me but the laughs are free & plentiful.
What I want more than anything is to have enough energy to play with my kids the way I want to. I want to be like Andrew, my brother in law, who can run, jump & leap with any elementary school kid out there.
What do you do to promote energy and discourage falling asleep in random places?
8 comments:
But licorice root? Where on earth does that come in? I'm so sorry you are so fatigued ... I fall asleep at 9 - 9:30 every night, but I thought that came with the 31-weeks-pregnant thing. I do tend to go to bed early -- I need lots of sleep --- and it gives Jason time to himself to play video games, etc. after I go to sleep. But how could you mix up the Goblin? :) I hope you got plenty of rest in Minnesota, and that your new eating plan makes you incredibly energetic!
I don't have the same child-rearing responsibilities, but I do have a high-stress job and I find that for me, I just have to get A TON of sleep. I average 8 1/2-9 hours a night. My body just needs it and I function much better when I get it. Many nights I go to bed by 10 pm. I also exercise regularly but I eat way too many sweets so that's probably a wash... :)
Good for you Erin (on the eating plan, not the adrenal induced narcolepsy)! FYI for Elizabeth - licorce root can help the adrenal glands heal. It's often recommended by physicians! :)
Oh. Thanks, Courtney. What makes a bad condition worse? Having to eat YUCKY LICORICE. Sorry, personal prejudices ...
It does seem that licorice is a candy that splits the masses. Some love, some do NOT! I love black licorice, but do not like red. This has nothing to do with licorice root for healing, but I do like black licorice jelly beans.
Which brings me to my response. Unfortunately, lindt chocolate truffle balls were a favorite brain and energy saver last fall during lots of stress. My waist line can attest! Now it's exercise and trying to get more SLEEP. Also I need to do yoga and de-stress my life some how (perhaps more fish oil).
As for your response, I think it sounds perhaps common but not normal at all actually. I've never been that tired except when pregnant. Licorice asap!!! Also tyrosine for afew days to give your body a break.
Good point, Elizabeth--I don't get the title either. Is Licorice Root the name of your new eating plan??? I can see a 40's-esque propaganda campaign now: "Give the Kaiser the Boot with Licorice Root!"
What I do to fight fatigue:
(bullet #1) Only watch movies on Friday night. PERIOD. Sorry, Allen.
(bullet #2) Exercise in the morning. Do I feel tired when I exercise? Yes, but not until night, and it's easy to force myself to go to bed before 10 if my whole body really does need rest.
(bullet #3) Take leisurely hot baths at every opportunity.
(bullet #4) Give caffeine the boot with licorice root!
(bullet #5) though I am certainly not consistent at all of these things, I know this is the secret formula for me to feel sane and moderately energetic.
Hey Erin,
I saw a patient with adrenal fatigue the other day. You replace the cortisol that is supposed to be made by your adrenals with oral medications. You give your "fatigued" adrenals a "rest period" and then slowly taper down the medication and your adrenals will start producing again.
I'm Leila's mom and her little(17) year old brother was diagnosed with adrenal insuffiency (Addison's disease) last year after several years of tiredness that progressively got worse. There is a simple blood test to check how well the adrenals are functioning. Months before he was diagnosed he had the flu and because the adrenals could not do their job, he became incredibly ill and was in the ICU for a week. I"m not meaning to scare you, but poor adrenal function can end up being very seroius. Hope this is not so in your case. Good luck on finding some answers.
Post a Comment