
When I was a college senior, I took a semester-long course covering Milton. Though I enjoyed the close study of Paradise Lost, his most famous long work, it is this sonnet that has stayed with me these many years. Milton was a religious man who lived during a time of religious 'keepaway' in England. His life just barely overlapped with Shakespeare, but while Shakespeare was likely a closet Catholic, Milton was a protestant, albeit one who did not always have an easy home in conventional congregations, but maintained his spirituality until the end of his life. (Full disclosure: he also worked for Oliver Cromwell, a ... divisive figure.)
This sonnet concerns his physical blindness but touches on spiritual sight/light as well. I've always found it a faith-affirming poem, especially during times when I've wondered, Doth God exact day-labour, light deny'd? It's also been included in every anthology I've ever taught out of, and my students almost always like it as well. That's saying something!
318. On His Blindness by John Milton, 1608-1674
WHEN I consider how my light is spent
E're half my days, in this dark world and wide,
And that one Talent which is death to hide,
Lodg'd with me useless, though my Soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, least he returning chide,
Doth God exact day-labour, light deny'd,
I fondly ask; But patience to prevent
That murmur, soon replies, God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts, who best
Bear his milde yoak, they serve him best, his State
Is Kingly. Thousands at his bidding speed
And post o're Land and Ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and waite.
The beautiful epilogue of this poem is that he composed his masterpiece Paradise Lost after he lost his sight by dictating to his daughters and employees. Paradise Lost, a 12 "book" epic poem written in heroic couplets (which means that the poem is a series of 2-line rhyme sets) has 11,000 lines. This accomplishment always startles me!
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing this lovely Tuesday poem ..
Beautiful. Simply beautiful.
I wish they'd had the Milton class when I was a senior. So jealous . . .
And I looooooooove the poetry Tuesday. Maybe you could throw some Linda Pastan in for me some time?
Post a Comment