Aug 26, 2009

Deja vu (some portions of this post are reprinted from FB)

Part 1 - I experienced extreme deja vu this morning while walking into the Blinn copy center next to someone familiar.

'Who is that guy? I know I recognize him from somewhere! Baseball? Church? PTO? No, no & no. Where have I seen him???' I kept asking myself.

Finally, after coming this close to inappropriate staring, I realized, 'Oh yeah, he manages the Blinn copy center.'

That's where I've seen him. In the place I was!


This oddly flattering picture ... flattering to the True North snack pack ... is a good indicator of my brain function right about now!

Part 2 - Annie has an ongoing request to change her name. It's been mentioned here before. Sometimes it's a friendly request, sometimes accusatory ("Why didn't you name me Tracy!?!").

While getting dressed for her first dance class of the school year a few nights ago, pulling on the new leotard and jazz shoes, she got concerned: "Annie is not a good teenager name, Mom. I cannot be a teenager named Annie!"

"What's a good teenager name?" I took the bait.

"Alex," she said.

"I like Alex. Do you want to go down to City Hall when you're a teenager?" I said. We've already talked about the paperwork necessary to change one's name.

"Maybe," she said pensively while pulling her hair into a ponytail. (Yay - it's long enough for a real ponytail, no bobby pins required).

Fast forward to dance class. Annie is standing next to Annika of course, but also next to another blond girl. This blond girl on the other side is an experienced dancer. A six year old, yes, but one who has danced for several years, obviously. Annie admires this girl and watches her moves. She is pleased to be next to her, I can tell.

After class, Annie shares with me, "There's another girl in there who is six. And she's in my same grade too!"

"Sounds good," I said, not mentioning that half the girls in that class are six and in the same grade.

"And her name is Annie," my Annie practically sings.

For some children, this would be annoying. A "Great, now I have to be Mark K. and he's Mark N." kind of a thing. Graham looked shocked the two times he met someone else with his name. But to Annie, it's validation that her given name will not be the dreadful albatross she thought. She now has hope that it is possible to succeed in dance, perhaps even in the long term, with the name Annie.

9 comments:

Sara said...

I know she will succeed with the name Annie. In life, most of all!

Elizabeth said...

I just love your stories about Annie -- she is always so individual in her thinking. She reminds me of someone ... who is it ... YOU!

Becca said...

But she's so Annie!

I personally want know where the desire for the name Tracy came from. I mean, it's totally great and inoffensive name, but is it a teenager name?

Becca said...

PS- the picture of you made me G.U.F.F.A.W. And the deja vu about the copy center guy . . . are you getting enough sleep?

Tracy Loewer said...

Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard of anyone wishing they had my name - even spelled the right way, I might add :)

I'm just going to pretend it means she wants to be like me when she grows up. Does it really matter that she doesn't remember who I am? Nope. My imagination is good enough to compensate for that.

Tracy Loewer said...

Oh, and I totally take offense at the, uh, suggested inoffensiveness of my name. I'm sure the mere mention of my name has offended people over the years - particularly as a teen, haha!

Courtney said...

I love the name Annie - when Anne's (or Ann's) are called Annie as adults. If you can get past Little Orphan Annie - it's adorable!

Those True North Snacks are sweet - too sweet! (In my opinion - but I only had a bite of one - the bag you left behind at mom and dad's!) FOR SHAME! :)

Courtney said...

Oh no - I just 's when it wasn't possessive - I just meant plural ANNES or ANNS!

J and M said...

That is a sweet blessing for miss A. I love that about her!