Sep 25, 2009

Bloodwork

I went in for a doctor appointment last week, then had blood drawn on Monday after fasting for almost a full day from 8:00 p.m. on Sunday night to 3:30 p.m. on Monday afternoon. One of my questions for my doctor concerned my fatigue. I've been feeling tired and not in proportion to the sleep I get. I wake up exhausted and go to bed exhausted. My brain shuts down even when I need to get work done. He said he would test for thyroid stuff, electrolytes (adrenal function), basic craziness (not really - I don't think a blood test touches on that), kidney & liver function, plus cholesterol.

So I just got a return call from the nurse, and it turns out that I am severely anemic! He asked me, "Have you been experiencing extreme lethargy?" After my yawn, I told him yes.

That is exactly what I've been experiencing! Yesterday afternoon, Annie and I worked on her backbends for awhile on a yoga mat she unrolled in the living room. Then she put make up on my face. The act of reclining on the yoga mat and closing my eyes so that she could apply eye shadow sent me to la la land. I struggled to open them back up to examine Annie's handiwork.

"Mom, look in the mirror!" she said.

"Could you bring a little mirror to me," I replied tiredly.

(She did bring the little mirror, and let's just say that her generous blush application made me look anything but anemic!)

We are not exactly surprised by the blood test results since I am also a vegetarian. But I am happy to find out that it's not just in my head and to find out that I can do something about it. Prescription iron supplements here we come. B vitamin, you're along for the ride too.

I'm not about to bite into a juicy burger, as much as that would please Graham. A few weeks ago, he commented carefully, "Some vegetarians, but not you, Mom, are really missing out on meaty flavor!" We sure are ... and we're glad about it. The last thing I want in my mouth is meaty flavor.

Later, the nurse reviewed my cholesterol numbers. They are good! He did suggest, however, that I try to raise my HDLs through exercise. They are at the low end of the acceptable range.

"As soon as I get some energy back, I'll do that," I said. He laughed like I was some kind of stand up comedian. But I'm not joking. The thought of exercising at the energy levels I've been experiencing is the joke. It did give me an idea for a comedy niche however - medical stand up. I bet that someone with comedic talent and a little medical knowledge or patient experience could really spice up medical conventions and meetings with funny routines.

Right now I'm going to stick to fixing my red blood cell count.

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Is it odd to think of this as great news?! I hate it when they diagnose nothing for what ails you --- finding an easily corrected illness will make all the difference in the world. I hope you are running circles around your kids in a few short weeks.

Becca said...

What are HDLs?

Oh, it is so nice to know there's a diagnosable (-ible?) problem, and a way to fix it. I'm sorry about your fatigue, but here's to hoping the iron supplements and vitamin B will help! You'll be running marathons with Elaine S. Dalton in no time!

I love Graham's observations about missing out on the meaty flavor!

Sara said...

Oh, Erin, I'm so glad they found something! I agree with Elizabeth - it is so hard when they don't have an answer - and it's so great that you have one! I'm waiting on some bloodwork too -although I doubt it will come back with "anemic" - I can hope - because I WILL take advantage of meaty flavor. :)

Jennifer said...

I'm so happy to hear that a little iron is all you need.

I love Graham's "meaty flavor" comment. Please tell me he wasn't referring to hot dogs. . .

Steph Thomas said...

What a relief to find out what it going on. YEAH!!
BTW, you are a comic, that was funny!

Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney said...

Sorry - that deleted comment is mine but I was logged in as Andrew.

I'm so glad you got an answer - a start, and so often having a name to identify why you feel a certain way is so empowering.

Hoping health and wellness are starting NOW with a little I-R-O-N!

Kristi said...

I am so glad something was discovered! Soon you will be full of energy:) Sorry you've had to endure such fatigue, hopefully it is soon all a distant memory!

J and M said...

Watch out - Iron supplements are notorious constipators! (TMI, I know)
JY

Tracy Loewer said...

I'm glad it was a relatively simple condition, and easily fixed. If you're looking for an excellent iron supplement, Floradix puts out one of the best (available in health food stores). It's easily absorbed, and it won't, um, clog your system, so to speak. It's also good to take vitamin C, as it has been shown to significantly increase iron absorption, but you probably already know that. Hope you start feeling better soon!

Susan said...

Hooray. Our prayers are answered. We want energy down your way with magic red blood cells.