It has been a sad week. I have been thinking of death, and specifically, about the passing of a great woman I've known my entire life. My thoughts have been with the Layne family, our dear family friends of many decades, after the death of Nedra, their one-of-a-kind matriarch. She was my violin teacher, my Sunday School teacher, the mother of my friends, even our neighbor. She will be missed very deeply. She will be remembered too ... at gatherings, at Thanksgiving feasts, at church, at recitals. I am grateful I knew her.
Today's poem speaks of death in a poignant, beautiful way, and teaches a truth, that sorrow's springs are indeed the same. In the end, we all must die. It is the painful coda for each one of us. Hopkins, a soulful priest known for his poem "Pied Beauty", uses alliteration skillfully in this verse without distracting from the message of the poem.
by Gerard Manley Hopkins
Margaret, are you grieving
Over Goldengrove unleaving?
Leaves, like the things of man, you
With your fresh thoughts care for, can you?
Ah! as the heart grows older
It will come to such sights colder
By and by, nor spare a sigh
Though worlds of wanwood leafmeal lie;
And yet you will weep and know why.
Now no matter, child, the name:
Sorrow's springs are the same.
Nor mouth had, no nor mind, expressed
What héart héard of, ghóst guéssed:
It is the blight man was born for,
It is Margaret you mourn for.
At first I just posted the poem. Then I thought that maybe I should add some of my explication. Of course, I don't want this to feel like a class ...
When I teach the poem, we read it through and I ask students what they think it means. Usually the meaning is not initially apparent to them. I walk them through the first lines, that the little girl is crying about the falling of the leaves. The speaker is surprised that she cares at all, being so young. He comments that it only gets worse as one ages ... or at least more intense. She will see many more fallen leaves in her life, but when she's older, the loss of them - and her reaction to the falling - will make more sense: "And yet you will weep and know why." At the end of the poem, it's clear that when she cries for the leaves, she's crying about the cycle of life and death evident in the woods, and that she's really crying about her own eventual death. It is herself - Margaret - that she "mourns for."
The title - "Spring and Fall" - points to that cycle. In fact, I think the title is deeply important to understanding the poem. It's not just about death but about the accompanying cycle. (Think "Circle of Life" from The Lion King.)
I know this selection is a bit of a downer, but I think the poem is profound and meaningful. All loss points to death; all deaths point to our own.
8 comments:
I have heard you talk about Nedra and the Laynes many times--I am sorry for your loss.
Perfect poem selection, as always. My favorite line from this poem is "what heart heard of, ghost guessed."
I love Gerard Manley Hopkins! 'Pied Beauty' has been a favorite since a freshman English class, because it celebrates . . . freckles! And I don't think there are many better poems than 'God's Grandeur.'
I hadn't heard of the author or the poem, but I will have to seek them out.
Beautiful words.
Thanks for your poem and thoughts on Nedra - tomorrow is the viewing and open mic (if you will) - for sharing memories and the funeral is Thursday. I will attend both - it seems a strange reality to think that Nedra will not be here in so many parts of our lives. I often feel very sheltered from death and this is so close and poignant and yet as I look around I still have my parents, my sisters, my spouse and my child ... I look on it closely with pain (especially on behalf of those I care deeply for - mom, Sunny and all the Laynes) and how it will change their lives - not just mine, and I find myself weeping yet again.
Sorry to read this, Erin. Thinking of you.
Nedra would appreciate a good poem in her honor. I have been wondering what she's doing in heaven these days (enjoying some pain free moments!).
I think Jon should do a weekly poem too!
I'm sorry to hear about your pain, Erin --- I know you love the Laynes as family, and this must be a terrible time for you. You are in our prayers.
Erin, I am so sorry to see this sad news, and for your loss. You, your family, and the Laynes are in my thoughts. I think the poem you posted is beautiful. Thank you too for the information about it. Thinking of you.
Post a Comment