Sep 16, 2009

Math in real life

Graham and I had a wonderful math homework session this afternoon. I came home from work, took a short nap and approached our time together with a clear head. He had a chance to play outside with neighbor friends and was ready to concentrate. We both agreed that afternoon homework times are better than evening homework times.

We started on an especially good note with Graham really paying attention to the numbers on his greater than/less than worksheet.

"Wow. 473. That's a big number. I wouldn't want my blood sugar to be that high!" he said.

"No, you wouldn't want that number," I agreed.

"Math really is about real life," Graham continued. "These numbers aren't just on a page. They count in what we're doing. Diabetes is like science and math together!"

(These words are a direct quote. He was really saying this. I was pretty impressed with his synthesis.)

He continued, "It's like the human body plus adding numbers, and if I'm a doctor, I have to know math too. It's so important in everything we do!"

Wow. He was on a roll. I suddenly had a vision of rapid math progress and happy homework sessions. The TAKS test will be a breeze with this newfound enthusiasm!

"Like, Mom, I need to know math in real life. I need to know it now," he said, picking up steam. "I need to know math so that if it a demon in the forest asks me for a number code and I have to tell him the numbers to live, I'll have something to tell him."

Oh, yes. A demon in the forest. That's what I call real-world application!

11 comments:

Heather said...

Love this, Erin!! Demons beware!

Laura said...

I love it! Numbers are good for both doctors AND demons in the forest!

Sara said...

I am cracking up! I love the application -

Elizabeth said...

Graham will be prepared for ANY eventuality, from high diabetes numbers to the ever-present, number-demanding demon in the forest.

Courtney said...

You really should think about writing a book with all of the wonderful Graham-isms. So many people have published fantastic stories or snippets from their lives and you have so many brilliant ones - LOVE IT!

Graham as a doctor would have such imaginative bedside manner I'm sure!

Cori said...

My favorite kid quote of the week! I am still laughing. What an insightful yet imaginative young fellow, that Graham. I think a "Graham-Quotes" book is definitely in order!

Susan said...

Graham buddy, you always say it best.

Becca said...

Man, I hope I have the number code to live. That's an essential piece of math knowledge right there.

Graham, we MISS you!

NIGHT AT THE RENFROES!

Heather said...

I read this to my class this morning.

Debs said...

As a lover of math, his enthusiasm delights me! I look forward to reading quotes from your kids, they always make me laugh because they are so honest and creative.

J and M said...

The most important thing for me is that this is indeed a wise demon, not to be fooled by mere trickery or running away. One must have a NUMBER CODE! (: I love it!