We had a great Halloween week - pumpkin carving with a family from the ward for Monday night's FHE, the ward Halloween "carnival" on Tuesday, and Trick-or-Treating on Wednesday. Lucy Raleigh and her dad actually stopped by and picked us up for a trick-or-treating jaunt around our Garden Acres neighborhood (the Raleighs live two houses down from us). For the ward party, Annie dressed as Violet from "The Incredibles" and Graham volunteered to be Dash, her super-fast brother. It was fortunate for us that we already owned a Dash suit.
It was unfortunate that the suit was size 4-6. Oops. I had forgotten about that part. Graham had a snug night at the ward party, especially since he insisted on wearing a t-shirt and shorts under the suit to avoid the itchy logo. Halfway through the ward carnival, Graham's suit started to run and he got extremely hot.
Anyway, long story short, he decided to be black Spiderman to go trick-or-treating. Annie was still a wonderful Violet, with a new black wig (her first black wig got lost at the church party). Initially she was not thrilled by something about the suit. She wants to be "beautiful" 24/7. I made the mistake of telling her she looked cute. Graham compounded the mistake by telling her "to be grateful for whatever you have". Graham loves to be "helpful" in this way. He truly thinks he's making the situation better. (Do not attempt to use the same line on him when he's in the midst of a meltdown, however. I've tried that.)
At the Tuesday night party, I let Graham have about 1/4th of a cup of homemade rootbeer & one piece of candy. His blood sugar was 353 when we got home. Not unexpected (also because it wasn't a full 2 hours after eating) but not something I wanted to repeat. I gave him extra insulin before we went trick-or-treating. However, I didn't realize how little candy he would eat or how much walking we would do. He actually had a low blood sugar 'experience' while walking through the neighborhood. I had to quickly make him eat some candy from his bag. When we got home, his blood sugar was 100 ... this means it must have been quite low for sugar candy to bring it UP to 100.
All things considered, our 1st Diabetic Halloween went really well.
1 comment:
That picture of Annie is priceless. I love the pouty lip.
Post a Comment