Nov 5, 2007

Piano puzzler

This is one of my favorite things: the piano puzzler on NPR's "Performance Today". Here in B/CS (KAMU 90.9 FM), the puzzler airs on Wednesdays around 9:15 a.m. I am usually just exiting one of my Blinn classes and try to hustle down to my van in order to catch the whole thing.

I think it would be so nervewracking to call in ... I always admire the callers, especially those who actually get it right, i.e. a September caller who figured out that the tune was "Maria" from West Side Story AND knew that the composer was Wagner (in the style of his opera Tristan & Isolde). Wow!

Here's the blurb from the website & the URL so you can catch up on past puzzlers :)
Piano Puzzler
Test your ears as Bruce Adolphe takes a popular tune and transforms it into something that sounds like it was composed by one of the greats. Guess the great and the song. Then listen to a piece by the composer in question.
http://performancetoday.publicradio.org/piano_puzzler.shtml

No comments: