Nov 14, 2007

Paul Bunyan land

Some of you may not know that Minnesota has a special claim to Paul Bunyan.
Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure on what that claim is. I want to say Paul Bunyan originated in Minnesota, but I'm not positive of that.

When I was younger, I went to a rather small (okay, rinky-dink) amusement park in Brainerd, MN called Paul Bunyan Land. DisneyWorld it wasn't, but it was fun.

Last year, our family traveled to Brainerd (about an hour north of St. Cloud) over the Christmas break for a mini-holiday at a really fun indoor waterslide park. Once Kyle got wind of our proximity to Paul Bunyan, a quest had hatched: to find Paul Bunyan. After several stops and lots of questions, we discovered that Paul Bunyan Land is no more. However, one friendly man told Grandpa Fred that there was a different Paul Bunyan statue a couple of miles away outside a liquor store

Of course we drove right over.



It was a bonus to find Babe the Blue Ox!

2 comments:

Becca said...

This post (and pics) made me laugh. Forget Paul Bunyan land--I'm remembering Pleasure Land right outside of St. Cloud with the humongous lot of RVs. :)

Sara said...

Hi Erin,
Actually Paul Bunyan Land still exists - it just moved to Garrison, a small little town east of Brainerd. That corner in Baxter (Brainerd) was way too ripe for development - now it's home to a lovely Kohl's department store! And if you're ever going to be in Brainerd again, YOU BETTER LET ME KNOW! :)

Sara

ps-I have a blog too, as you can tell, but it's not a newsy, fun picture blog...