Aug 22, 2008

The Cities

To me, they've always been "The Cities" (cue background music now!), a special place (singular? plural?) full of promise. I suppose it's an accumulation of my many trips to Mpls/St Paul for high school church dances, the occasional shopping trip to Ragstock, the airport and even *cool* places (like First Avenue, or Uptown, or Dinkytown, or the U of M) that gave the cities their air of excitement. Something interesting was always happening just after that long tunnel by the Basilica.

So here they are, in their 36-hour goodness!

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/travel/17hours.html?em

*for whatever reason, though I link and link and link, the link feature only occasionally works for me. Sorry

1 comment:

Allison said...

That's funny that you write about the aura of a city because just as Mike and I were driving into Dallas last night, I was trying to describe to him the feeling that I get when I enter a big big city (he didn't get it!). It's when the pace starts to pick up and the lanes widen and the amount of people on the road increases dramatically, all of them moving fast and going lots of different places, and there's kind of that hollow sound of the freeway when you enter a city. It's lots of people going in all sorts of directions. I don't know what it is - the people, the fast pace, the opportunities, but there's something absolutely exciting and invigorating about entering a city and I love it too. I was seriously bouncing in my seat with excitement just at the opportunity of being somewhere BIG and fast paced! (maybe it was just having a night away, a million thanks to you!!).

I'm always up for something new and exciting - I've never been to Minneapolis but it sounds culturally exciting and interesting and beautiful. I'll have to add that to my "places I need to visit" list and now I have an itinerary of things to see and do!