St. Cloud, Minnesota has a new public library building, and it is gorgeous!
I'm proud to hail from a town that would create such a lovely structure dedicated to reading. It reminds me of the award-winning library in Fayetteville, Arkansas (just a bit, Becca!).
4 comments:
It is gorgeous. I still remember my visit to St. Paul (when Julie and Brian were living there) and the Gehry museum at the library there. It is a lovely town to hail from ... very dedicated to the life of the mind.
I love all the windows and open light (hello glass elevator) -- I don't like that over 3 months after opening it still makes me sick to go inside because of all of the chemicals - GRRRRR (oh wait, I mean GRRL!) Ha ha Great River Regional Library!
Oh! (sniff, sniff . . . SOB!)
The SSPL does not quite compare. In fact, why am I being diplomatic here? There is a shelf labeled "Gentle Books" that is entirely filled with . . . er . . . Mormon fiction. I wouldn't be as annoyed as I am if it didn't say "gentle books." Is that a genre I never learned about?I want to rip that sign down. And hang my head in shame.
The managing librarian is in my ward and is the best friend I have made here so far--she's really fun. I have lots of plans for the library to spring on her--but I have to couch my words positively so she'll never suspect some of my contemptuous feelings.
What can I say? The FPL library has completely spoiled me. Just as the St Cloud library will spoil you.
It's so beautiful! I remember the first time I saw the new SCSU library - we went in for a tour and I was so impressed - and so disappointed that it was so long after my 7 years there. (two degrees for anyone who doesn't know me and wonders why it takes any person 7 years to get thru college, haha)
Post a Comment