Dec 15, 2008

The last of the good, fun times






Well, not really ... we've had plenty of good, fun times since then (don't worry!), but I do wish I could get ahold of Hermione's time turner, and travel back to summer 2006.

This was a stop at the Hagerman Fossil Beds between Twin Falls and Boise, and we had a sun-kissed great time. No missed plane, no death of Papa Higgins, no ADHD (well, no diagnoses, at least ...), no diabetes, no breakdown of family structure, no selling our house, no separation, no rejection, no (what I think of as) breach of contract in lighter moments.

What would I change if I could turn back time?
Hard to put all of my insights into a single blog post ... that's something I'll be unraveling well into the future.

But I would be more patient, more Christlike, more thoughtful, more accepting, more loving, more the way I should have been all along. Also, I would be more ... me. I forgot myself along the way.

Regret can crush us, and I've felt quite crushed this last year, because no matter what anyone else says or thinks or perceives, I know I was not the kind of Christlike partner I promised to be. Sure, into every life a little stress must come, and my life - our shared live - was not always simple/easy, but I know in my heart of hearts that if I had more fully lived the gospel principles I espouse, these photos wouldn't be the last of their kind.

Ah ... I suppose this is a bit personal. I've avoided too much boo-hoo-ing on this blog, but I hope it's not inappropriate to share some of this.

My greatest regret is that at times I let my desire for a 'Celestial family' harden into Expectation, since I've learned that Expectation is the enemy of happiness. At least it was in our family. Expectation kills exploration. Expectation is a fossil. Expectation is toxic. Expectation is also hard to unpack.

I spent too much time focusing on my goals and intentions and not enough time being truly charitable. I spent too much time pursuing an ideal that, in fact, could never exist. What a waste!

Because I wanted regular temple attendance, because I wanted happy-family-all-together-FHE, because I wanted constant progression and improvement (myself included, most certainly!!!), I let - as Michael Scott so aptly says - "the ends justify the mean."

Sometimes I joke about this tendency - and I know I'm not alone - but it does not bring satisfaction. It's the griping at everyone to get ready more quickly so that we can make it to church on time and feel the spirit there. It's the crying because no one's paying any attention during family scripture study. I'm not totally sure how to be more zen, more in the moment, less concious of deadlines and comparisons and all of that, but I'm getting better.

I often pray that this life lesson not be wasted. Even though I'll never get another chance with this particular broken relationship, I hope I can be the kind of mother I want to be, the kind of friend, the kind of daughter, the kind of teacher, the kind of person.

Perhaps I required suffering of this magnitude to really learn. If so, then I'm glad for the lesson ... but deeply sad it did not come with a do-over clause.

17 comments:

Sara said...

my dear Erin, I am praying for you.

Elizabeth Kiker said...

Erin:
You are a gentle, loving person. The hardest part about a separation (as if there is any one hard part. one of the thousands of hard parts ...) is keeping a sense of yourself separate from yourself-as-part-of-a-failed-relationship. You are a beautiful, tender, loving, smart, funny (hilarious), gifted, generous person. The occasional sharp moments happen in EVERY family, and you and your heart deserve every day to be as beautiful as these pictures. It will happen. It will be. You are in my heart and prayers this Christmas.

Becca said...

I know it can't be easy to share such personal thoughts, but I thank you for doing it.

I think often of the words that you shared when they were given to you: "When long days and nights do come, remember that God loves broken things. He must, because there are so many of them. I think we could make the doctrinal case that the thing God loves more than anything else is a broken heart and a contrite spirit."

"There are great cycles of life - giving, taking, receiving, losing.
"It takes a broken cloud to make rain; broken ground to grow a seed; broken grain to make food; broken bread to bring us together with our Savior"

You do have a time-turner! It just only turns forward :). I know summer of 2006 will happen for you again. Sometimes it seems like those carefree, sun-filled days will never come, but they will!

I'm with Sara.

Janine said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Erin. You have no idea how much I needed to hear those words at this time in my life. You have endured so very much...it's overwhelming. If the Lord only gives us what we can handle... just think of how strong you have become! The Lord is refining you into someone even more spectacular than you already are.
I hope you know how much you are loved.

Courtney said...

Can't wait to give you a hug personally in just a few days!

I am in awe of your strength and courage!

Fred said...

My heart continues to be sad for you, and at the same time hopeful for your future. You have been very courageous. However, no one knows how many tears have been soaked into your pillows. My prayers are with you daily.

I love you.

Dad

hkobeal said...

Wishing all our love and laughs and prayers and positive vibes could make things right (whatever that might mean). We love and cherish your family.

J and M said...

Erin. I know that expectation is the enemy of happiness. For me, at least. I contemplate how to change it.....how to really let something like your experience sink into me, so that I am different.............Hmmm.

love you. m

On a lighter note. The time turner must turn back to times when little adorable tummies are in pink suits. (:

Steph Thomas said...

I think of you always and am amazed at how well you always seem put together. I would be in pieces and it just breaks my heart to think of such a wonderful person like you to have to go through something like this. I wish there was a do-over clause. As I have told you, I have always thought ever since I met you that you are INCREDIBLE and I still believe it and now even more. How much more incredible can you be? I absolutely love you. You make me feel like I am someone important and that I have something important to say.
It was not inappropriate to put that post up at all. You can do more to if it helps you heal. We are all here for you. I love you with all of my heart:)
It just breaks my heart to think of the pain you are in, and have been going through. I wish I could just take the heartache from you. I LOVE YOU!!

Laura said...

As you can see by so many who have already written you are so loved! And count me amongst those who love you. Thank you for sharing part of yourself on this blog -- I feel like it has helped me to know you better and in that I feel closer to you. I don't ever, ever want you to hurt and I'm sorry that life is so unfair right now. But I am amazed at your strength in staying strong for your wonderful kids. They are so lucky to have a brave and faithful mother. I don't know everything you've gone through but I do pray for you to continue to be strong.

That summer of 2006 was so very happy and it was good to spend just a few days of it with you. More days like that will come for you...I know they will!

Tracy said...

Always so eloquent, even upon reflexion of your pain. I am very sorry to hear that one of my favourite people has been through so much. I hope you have been able to take some small comfort in the fact that you are the daughter of a loving Father who has the ability to make us strong where we are weak, and who can make all things work for our good (even when that seems impossible). Hang in there, sweet Erin...

robyncreates said...

I whole-heartedly agree with all of the above comments and just wanted to add that I also am constantly amazed at you and the kind of person you are. I really enjoyed your post and learned some from it myself with a resolve of my own to do better in those same areas. I constantly struggle with enjoying the moment, not rushing to get to the next one on time as well. I love you and you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers as well as your fam and in my kids' prayers too. Enjoy the spirit of Christ this season.

BrianG said...

The last time I saw you guys was summer of 2006, and I guess I had that reality of you fixed in time. You are in our prayers and you are still one of Leila and I's heroes. We always loved hanging out with you and wanted to be more like you.

The part about the stress of getting to church, etc I totally relate to. Temple trips have become that way for us since we have to travel so far.

Anonymous said...

Something told me to check your blog today, and I'm so glad I did!

I think of you often, and wish we lived closer and that it was easier for us to connect. You are in my prayers, as well as your dear, sweet, lovable kiddos...I miss you!

Allison said...

Erin, my heart breaks for you. You are so often in my thoughts & prayers. Part of me wishes I could just take your pain away, and then I'm reminded that we have a Savior who did that, and because of that, he suffers when we suffer and has an understanding better than anyone else. That is so much greater than anything I can do, and so I continue to pray for you, and to be there when you need a listening ear.

Like you, I love what your friend Becca says, that you do have a time-turner, which moves forward. What a great reminder to all of us! I love you. I do hope 2009 is a year of healing for you. And I know that a 2006 will come again...

Anna M said...

Erin, I needed to read that. That third to last paragraph describes me to a T and I'm still working to do better...

Jennifer said...

My thoughts are too many to share on a blog comment section. Let me summarize with this quote, "It doesn't get any better than Erin Littlefield."

I love you. I love your sweet kids. I admire you so much and am thankful to be able to call you my friend.