I think I've already extolled the virtues of Melissa Clark's New York Times food column on the lowdown, but I don't think I've given her writing an entire post of praise. But it's Wednesday & I just finished reading the new column. (Gotta say, I'm enjoying this time off. The semester is over and I'm catching up on work ... and a little leisure.)Each week or so, Clark whips up something delicious with a twist ... and writes about it, from the uses of fresh corn to bake ahead breads that work for Thanksgiving. I like the structure of her writing - a little personal anecdote, a cooking challenge given to herself, a description of the search & process, mention of any setbacks, and voila! the delicious result.
Today's column is about pot roast. It says something that a vegetarian like me drools at her description of pot roast.
The fun part for any of you who like food writing - and her food writing is fun, accessible and witty - is reading all the past "A Good Appetite" columns.
If you're like me, you'll also peruse her website.
Does this mean more marvelous cooking in our own kitchens? Maybe. But I can enjoy it vicariously too.
3 comments:
Jason's mom actually subscribed to the NY Times for us for six months, so we get to read it every day! Crazy and awesome blessing. But I am very familiar with Bittman and Hesser on food but not with this one. As a former vegetarian, I can't wait to follow this recipe. Thanks for the tip!
The way you describe her writing reminds me of Cook's Country. It's our favorite cooking magazine that my friend Elisa Snow introduced me to. It's $25 for only six issues per year, but totally worth it (plus no advertisements). The cooks and bakers and chefs describe their quests to find old recipes or to perfect popular dishes--and they educate you on the techniques and chemistry of preparing each dish (plus the history of the dishes, like the Jefferson Davis pie in the last issue, or Waldorf salad, etc.). It's so fun to read--I understand what you mean about drooling over dishes that you would never actually eat . . . let alone prepare for someone else to eat :).
Have you ever been to orangette.blogspot.com? It has great recipes and writing.
Post a Comment