Aug 20, 2009

My "friend"

I really, unabashedly love Facebook. I love connecting with people who have been important at one time or another in my life. I like the ease of communicating with ward members. I like being able to chat with folks (like Carol in Beijing, even with our time differences). I especially love getting to know my extended family (blogs have been wonderful like that too!). Blogs and FB have really created a link with my lovely Arrington & Silvers cousins, aunts, and uncles. I like seeing my sister and brothers in law too. "Like" indeed!

I have to share my specific pleasure this month at friending a stranger. Well, I'm a stranger to her. She's no stranger to me since I read her columns every week in the New York Times: Michelle Slatalla. (Her column title has changed during my readership from Online Shopping to Cyberfamilias to Wife/Mother/Worker/Spy, but it doesn't matter. She's funny any way you slice it.)

Here's the column from today.

On a whim, I sent a message to Ms. Slatalla in FB (I love that one can send messages to a nonfriend. Easy way to find folks!) on the off chance she might friend me ... because then I could read her status updates. I'd already tried this with another writer I like & no success there. But one day when I logged into FB, I saw a profile pic of Ms. Slatalla. She'd "accepted" my friend request.

It made my day. But not more than seeing all of my actual friends and family members there, of course!

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've been wavering on joining. Someone told me you can be totally hidden, not out in the world, and that way I could still follow you and a few others who update all the time that I'd like to be in touch with. I'm just so ... leery of the past. Isn't that odd? But I'm so glad you've connected and reconnected and famous connected!

Allison said...

I love facebook too. I love reminiscing and am always curious about what old friends (who I've lost touch with, but wish I hadn't) are up too. I'm glad your favorite columnist accepted your request :)

Becca said...

That picture of Michelle Slatella is totally cute--I want to be her friend from the picture alone. The article was very sweet. I'm glad I'm only sending grade-schoolers off to school, because I worry all the time if my kids are learning the right lessons.

And I'm glad you like facebook. The real reason I am not joining is because I know I will be instantly addicted.

Tamara said...

I did this with David Dye, host of The World Cafe! After we had become "friends" I sent him a message asking about an artist he had started a show with some time ago. I was so pleased when I saw that he had taken the time to reply.

Carl said...

Who was your very first Facebook friend, Erin? Just curious.

Erin said...

Why you were, Carl! You were my first friend :) How'd you find me so quickly back in December? I remember being really happen that the invites ... or "requests" starting pouring in right away, then later realized that you must have provided some suggestions from your own friend pool. It was a nice welcome.

And who was your first friend?

And is Friendster still around or did that site die its inevitable death?

Erin said...

I mean "happy".

Carl said...

Glad you enjoyed your Facebook welcome. I joined in 2005 (I was the 15,334th person to join) and can't remember who my first friend was. Respect.

Friendster still exists, but is a ghost town. I hear it's popular in the Philippines and Malaysia these days.