Still, I have something to share and observations to note.
Today's review will cover Dakota Fanning's performance in the live action "Charlotte's Web"

Note: I have seen this movie twice - once in the theater at full price and one in the theater (this summer) at a $1.00 kid/summer price. Both times I disliked Dakota Fanning's interpretation of Fern.
Fern is a sweetheart, a real animal lover. You don't need a movie to tell you that. Just read the actual novel & you'll grasp Fern's tender heart. But in this live action film, Fanning gives Fern an edge. She sasses her father and kind of bosses him around. Instead of pleading for Wilbur's life, she basically tells her dad What's What and he caves. He looks almost scared of her bossiness, like he's not going to be able to handle her when she's a teenager.
I also did not like how quickly she morphed from Wilbur's Number One Fan to that violin-playing kid's girlfriend. I know the message is about growing up and moving on. Wilbur has to see that it's all part of the Circle of Life. Charlotte is dying, Fern is living. But I felt like Fanning's character just happily skipped off to the Ferris Wheel without a second glance at the pig pen. Not much depth in her backward glance. Also, she didn't put up a fuss about the yellow dress. I think she was happy to get out of her jeans and start flirting.
This is not the Fern I love from the book's cover, the animated movie (with its wonderful fair collage) or the book. Fern is not an edgy farm chick, she is a sweet girl who loves being in the barn.
So Ms. Fanning, while you may have shown depth in other films I did not see ("I Am Sam" is the only one I can think of), I did not like the tone you struck with Fern. I will not be seeing another one of your movies ... until it comes to the cheap summer movie program.
3 comments:
Edgy farm chick indeed! I didn't see the movie, but now I will avoid it as long as possible ...
Didn't want to see it, still don't. I don't like Dakota Fanning - some other horse movie with Kurt Russell UGH. Some other outer space movie with Tom Cruise UGH. The common denominator seems to be D.F. UGH!
This review really did make me laugh! I wish that writing "hahaha" (or even worse, "LOL") didn't sound so fake and cliched . . . maybe I'll start writing "GUFFAW" when I laugh at something--and it could be an acronym for Gales Uproariously Flowing Forth About Whatyouwrote.
Hm.
Plus, I heard from my trashy-magazine reading sisters [and you and Courtney are sadly included in this subset with your People-reading ways:)] that Dakota Fanning begged to play the evil vampiress in the new or one of the next Twilight movies. Strike three, sista!
Marni, do you read People? I need someone on my team.
I love you take on DF, but I also loved this movie, because the voice of Wilbur in the animated version is ABHORRENT and whiny, while this Wilbur was sweet and endearing. I thought Julia Roberts wasn't too bad, but Oprah, what were you thinking? Your interpretation of the goose was pure Herman Milquetoast.
Post a Comment