It got me thinking about one of my all time favorites: "Tootsie".

Sydney Pollack, that film's director, recently passed away, and I was touched by several of the life-summary articles about him in major newspapers. He was skilled, said the NY Times, at creating commercial pictures that did not offend art. Or something like that.
I think it's a funny, funny show - very silly, goofy and enjoyable. I like that it stars regular looking people for the most part: Dustin Hoffman, Bill Murray, Teri Garr, even Sydney Pollack as Michael Dorsey's agent.
What are some of your favorites?
3 comments:
I agree that the stars in this movie are "regular looking" but it's sad that the "regular looking" stars are invariably men. If you are a "regular looking" woman in Hollywood, then you are either some kind of stock/comic relief character, or you never make it big, no matter how good your acting ability. I know it's not always true, but I think it (sadly) generally is.
And, Erin, I've said it before, but you totally remind me of Juliette Binoche, who is both an excellent actress and drop-dead gorgeous. She especially reminds me of you in Chocolat, but also in Dan in Real Life, which I loved and which I reviewed not too long ago.
One of my all-time favorites is Quigley Down Under. It's a true "dramedy" . . . both the conflict and the humor are very real and don't seem forced. It's a western, but the romance is completely convincing and not gratuitous in any way. And the hero is heroic and the villain is vile--I love it!
Click here for my comprehensive list of favorite movies.
My blog only listed my secret love of early 1990s movies.
Some of my pre 1990 and post 1995 favorites include:
Tootsie is also a favorite - one I own, Thoroughly Modern Millie (I think Julie Andrews' BEST role ever. The music, costumes, dancing and the comedy), Indiana Jones trilogy, Bourne trilogy, Charade -- ahh Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! Classic! Willow (Val Kilmer is divine), Notting Hill (there is something about Hugh Grant as as self-deprecating narrator that I love), Young Sherlock Holmes, Sense and Sensibility (it came out in 95 but I didn't see it until MUCH later so I didn't include it), Return to Me, Bandits (hilarious -- Bruce Willis, Cate Blanchett - possibly one of the greatest actresses EVER), The Lord of the Rings triology extended versions, You've Got Mail (it's all about Greg Kinnear!), Galaxy Quest, Vertigo (Jimmy Stewart -- oh he's wonderful in The Philadelphia Story as well), Say Anything ("In Your Eyes" -- need I say MORE??), Miss Congeniality, My Big Fat Greek Wedding (so original -- again the multi-generational cast!), Anne of Green Gables (though not the "it's 15 years later and let's not include any of the original story line, make up our own, rehash the lines and Anne looks 40 3rd installment.) Man from Snowy River -- (I think this is the single most romantic kiss in the history of movies!), Enchanted and Hairspray - my newest favorites both with the multi-talented James Marsden, the ORIGINAL Back to the Future (oh even at 5'5" -- a good 3 inches shorter than I me, I LOVED Michael J. Fox), Ever After (not usually a Drew Barrymore fan I do enjoy this one.)
Becca has such a good idea to link the comprehensive list. The List of the movies I own is huge and it certainly doesn't include all I like!
Blather blather...I like movies! Can you tell?
I can't think of movies at this point because I am stumped by the fact that I do not think I have actually read anything out of a newspaper in many many many years. Well, when desperate I read some things random at the chiropractor's office but that doesn't count. Hmmmmmm.
Post a Comment