Aug 27, 2008

A good cry

The column by Judith Warner is well done (all about the pain & joy of children growing up), but the plentiful reader comments at the bottom are what really touched me. Wow.

warner.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/03/getting-real/
(I'm supposed to be able to create a link in this post, but it just won't work for me. I've typed in the URL 100 different ways, and it will not appear. So you'll need to copy and paste the URL into your browser. Sorry for the extra step.)

As a mother and daughter, I can relate to all these insights about the bittersweet nature of being a parent. Annie just started kindergarten on Monday. Talk about a milestone!

Here's one of the reader comments:
I have often said that raising a child is an exercise in unrequited love.
If I do it right they will leave and go in to have productive lives of their own, without me.
Unfortunately my heart never got the message that that is the way it is supposed to work, everyday I long to hear their voices and would give up the rest of my life for one day with the child they once were.

— Posted by Donnee

5 comments:

Elizabeth Kiker said...

Oh I stopped reading --- the comments were making me cry, and Oliver is just five months old.

J and M said...

Ugh. my throat is tight and my eyes watered up just reading that. I wish to stay in my little Elle's imaginary world forever......(like the pommel horse in her leg, and her sprinkling me with happy powder).

robyncreates said...

Wow-I don't know that i want that day to come, where I feel that way-I already feel that way half the time now...but it must and will...someday...just thankfully not today, or tomorrow for me.

Jennifer said...

Okay, now I'm crying

Alicia said...

Loved reading this article. Made me want to enjoy and soak up every moment with my small children who still never want to leave my side. I have loved reading your blog. I had fun reading your blog tonight! I love all of your little insights and how well you express yourself.