At the risk of losing friends and alienating people, I thought I'd add this little widget. I really like Obama. I've liked him since 2006, when I heard him speak in Austin. I want him to be president. I think he is an intelligent, thoughtful person.
Do I think he has all the answers for our country? Every single last one of them?
No. Who does?
That's why the president has a team.
For me, the question is not, Is Barack Obama better qualified to lead this country than anyone else we can think of? Anyone else who has ever lived? There probably are other people with more _______ (experience, economic insights, military prowess).
But the question is, Do I want Barack Obama/Joe Biden in the White House or do I want John McCain/Sarah Palin there? That's the question. For me, it isn't the time to wait around for the perfect candidate, someone who does not and could not exist.
Do I feel more confident in Obama's abilty to govern in the 21st century than his opponents?
Uh, see the widget. Yes, I do.
A ward friend asked me the other day, in a spirit of really wanting to understand, "Erin, tell me how someone can like Obama."
I appreciated the question.
For me, it's a level-of-comfort thing, at least in part. I like having an articulate candidate to support. I suppose that's the English teacher in me.
However, it isn't all about the words/speaking. I think he's smart. I think he understands the American experience, the American dream. I think he can help bridge racial divides. He has already given some speeches that speak to the need for fathers to be involved, for example. (That's the speech that made Jesse Jackson so mad!)
I've been heard to say that I would have some base level of happiness after the 2008 election no matter who was elected because I liked McCain more than the incumbent.
However, that feeling has been lessened somewhat. I feel like McCain has altered some of his earlier beliefs, the ones he actually held. I do not like the new emphasis on drilling in Alaska, for example. (See Thomas Friedman's recent NYT column on energy technology!) McCain clearly understands the unpleasant business of getting elected. He's made some calculated decisions. I don't fault him for having to calculate, but I don't feel confident about Sarah Palin.
Here's the Mormon mom in me - I don't think the job of VP is a good fit for a mom of young children. I'm sorry, but something would have to be sacrificed ... either her job or her children. That may sound sexist, but I have qualms about a mother of a newborn helping to run the country. I'm not saying mothers can't be politicians or have careers or be successful, but to everything there is a season, right? Being VP isn't an 8-5 job, home for dinner, tuck 'em in and all that. It requires travel, meetings, conferences, calls, non-stop work. The job must be the first priority.
I'm guessing that being a governor is less demanding. Most jobs are.
I don't want a VP whose first priority is something other than our country's security, safety and success. I'm sure every president and VP has had to find that balance, but I think it would be nigh unto impossible to actively rear small children and be second in command of our nation.
What about Obama, you say? He has young children too. But his children aren't as young, and he isn't the mother.
Hey ... I suppose I'm more conservative than I thought :)
I hope I don't offend friends & family members - politics can do that - but I also think we should be able to be our *real* selves on our blogs. It's MY lowdown here.
I often feel nervous telling other Mormons than I'm not republican. Why is this? Should I be afraid of revealing my truth self? Yes, I'm pro-life. No, I'm not a republican.
Anecdotal evidence points to yes, I should be concerned about opening up. There are Mormons who deride non-republicans. But I trust that no one in my ward - or at least no one who bothers to read this rag - would feel that way.
Fingers crossed!
17 comments:
This is no rag.
And was Thomas Friedman the same guy on fresh air a few days ago? Allen came home raving about what an amazing interview it was. I felt like I had listened to it, too, (and tried to suppress my bitterness at being completely disconnected with the world whilst I am waiting to move into our house and get the internet--T minus four days and counting!) He listens to the fresh air podcast at work--with headphones, lest he unwittingly give offense to our new acquaintances in the Gem State. We'll gradually spring our NPR ways on them!
Bold move, Erin. I am too scared to go political on my blog (which is a shame, because "Bex Politix" works so well with the theme I have going). It's my real self on the Renfroe Scoop, just not my entire self.
I quote from the September 11th First Presidency Letter to be read in Sacrament Meeting: "Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties."
Too true.
Yo' mama for Obama!
Yes, it was a bold move, but anyone who loves you can respect your opinion. Thank goodness we live in a country where we can feel free to have an opinion. I don't agree about Obama but I'm not offended in the slightest. :)
Making brave statements is never offensive.
Erin, I love you. Love that you say things how they are to you. And you should be able too-esp on your blog- without anyone being offended. Am I Republican? No, Am I Democrat? No. I go for whoever I think is best in each election. I know my views are more conservative...Not sure how I feel so far about this election yet though...Thanks for the thoughts. :)
White People like Obama, Erin.
This is AMERICA - we get to vote, we get to pick sides, we get to do and and we should be grateful and not have to hide it.
I've had many an odd conversation, with other Latter-day Saints who seem to act as though the only good Mormon is a Republican Mormon. (I personally know a guy whose machine said in the last presidential election "Hi you've reached so and so but we're not here, we're busy campaigning for George W. Bush." He once said to me, if I'm ever a bishop, I wouldn't grant a temple recommend to anyone who voted Democrat" - he has psychological issues yes, but I have felt at times like I wear a Scarlet Letter.
I'm not a registered Democrat (like President Hinckley was, mind you) but I do tend to vote Democrat (although any given election from local to national I always have some GOP as well since I vote candidate and not party.)
I have been asked how could you vote for Democrats, they are pro-choice.
My answer is this: The Church always announced it does not endorse any party or candidate - it recommends people seriously ponder and pray about the candidates - and I do!) Just because Romney was LDS doesn't mean he represented me - I'm not a uber-wealthy white male, no more than a woman represents me just because I'm female, or why a black man can't represent me because I'm neither male nor black.
All the Republican presidents since R vs. W haven't changed the law so am I going to select my leader because on the flat principle that he's pro-life (but can't changed the current laws) or someone who resonates with me about our economy, the War in Iraq, education, health care, and many other real time issues in MY life... I think not.
I too don't think that any one person has all the answers but I do agree that we have strayed too far from the system that was devised to have checks and balances, and I feel that Obama speaks more to me, my life, my thoughts, my situation - even as a white, middle class woman who also happens to be a devout Latter-day Saint.
There you go, I put myself on the line too! (well sort of as went back and edited some out.)
Well put Erin! I am a Mormon Democrat and proud of it! GO Obama!
Your posts are always great!
I feel like we're all going to hell in a handbasket, after having spent time with the HHS system in TX, so I think I'd like to just vote for the end. I don't know who to vote for, or what to think, but it's all a house-of-cards-going-to-flop soon.
How is that for some optimism? Must buy more rice milk for food storage (:
You go Erin. I just love you.. you are so awesome. I am still trying to figure out who would be best for me. I think I am just going to add my name for president:)
I may be a lowly, conservative, Canadian who does nothing but sit around and listen to waaay too much US politics (seriously, there's not much else on the telly - for what little I watch), but I think your comments are very à propos. Let's face it, there isn't exactly a lot of time for family when you're trying to lead the free world. I was very surprised that McCain chose Palin as a running mate. It seems paradoxical. I am curious to see how that plays out with the more conservative "moms are awesome, but their place is in the home" republicans.
In any case, I have to give props to you Americans for putting up with so much election hoopla over such an extended period of time. We Canucks just got told that we're having a federal election in a couple of weeks. That's just enough time to find out who the candidates are, but not enough time to really argue with your neighbour about it :)
I wish you all luck in the upcoming election - may the best candidate win!
P.S. I love your blog, Erin. It's fun to see what you guys are up to!
All the best,
Tracy
Ooh ... fun, fun for me! I'm glad to see Ixchelle & Tracy who we really miss here in Bryan 1st ward. Robyn & Steph & Jennifer, you guys are great! And Laura - I love connecting via the blog - thanks for sharing. Becca & Elizabeth, you guys really know the real me (I think) and I love that! Marni & Courtney, save room for me in the handbasket :)
Erin I think you're great! I don't really know who I would vote for...I can't because I'm Canadian... but I feel like I'm pulled in all different directions on so many different issues. I really don't totally love either of the candidates. I guess my decision is made easy though since I'm not even a citizen :) Mike is actually Libertarian - well, he aligns himself with Libertarians on most (not all) issues. He doesn't shout that too loudly in the Mormon community either :)
I think you shouldn't be nervous to be Democrat, I bet there are more Mormon Democrats than you think there are! And I think that the greater fault is with people who align themselves with a party just because that's what they think Mormons should do or because it's what they've always done. Things change with every election and so people need to vote according to who can best lead the country with the struggles it is facing at the time.
Anyways, there's my two cents :)
Amen to that sister! I want to try an educated, impartial, law based, transparent, inclusive government this election.
We have a lot of restoration work ahead( restore the Constitution and the rule of law, restore our reputation globally, restore a balanced plan for spending tax dollars...)---the list goes on longer than the 2.5 page bailout plan.....but know that I, too, am lawfully doing all I can to help get Obama elected. (As a Federal Employee I am forbidden to speak about politics at work.)
Frankly, I marvel that there are some who have racial issues with him-----I don't see him (or people in general) as black or white.
I am hoping we as a nation make our choice in this election on character and track record.
But most importantly, that all registered voters VOTE!!!
Erin, you need to look up the whitehouseproject.com website...it's Marie Wilson's work on closing the leadership gap---not men -vs- women, but men AND women, both in leadership---
making decisions that honor the needs of everyone, not just a few.
Hey Erin, you are brave! I always feel I have to simply vote for the lesser of 2 evils... and I am again on the fence this time around. I don't like McCain's ideas about education, they seem to mirror Pawlenty's... but I am hearing not-so-great things about Obama's past (corruption?), and something about him seems a bit too Hollywood-slick... hmmm, what to do.... let's just pray Jesus comes soon! :)
Oh, and when are you going to join FaceBook?? It's super fun!
Erin I would love to chat sometime. Reading your post gave Sam and I an opportunity to have a great conversation. I sometimes identify myself with the Democrats and I am fond of Obama. Sam jokes with me all the time and calls me a liberal hippy. I can't help it. But I love to hear how others think and few things. My views have changed so much over the past few years (especially since my husband studies political science). We have great conversations and helps me to see both sides to every issue (my eyes have really opened). Anyway, like I said, I'd love to chat sometime! Even if I weren't fond of Obama as well, you would not have offended me. I tend to be very open to everyone having their own thoughts/opinions!
Go OBAMA.
Post a Comment