"What???" I asked, shocked out of my mind, then, "Yes, actually I was a cheerleader in 9th and 10th grade." It's true. I used to cheer for a variety of sporting events (mostly football and basketball, but sometimes girls' volleyball and occasionally swim meets. Talk about humidity - didn't feel too good with black & orange sweaters.)
I didn't think I gave off that vibe at all. I guess I was a little enthusiastic about revision.
I seized the moment, extended my arms and cheered, "Gooooo, Writing Process!"
Yes, I really did that. They all chuckled.
It made me realize that the image we think we're projecting isn't always the one that comes across ... and sometimes, we can't escape our high school selves, no matter how fast we run.

Anything about you in high school that would prefer no one ever know or remember?
I used to wear long john bottoms/pants - yes, the kind Minnesotans wear during the winter - under a brown paisley 'granny' skirt - yes, it actually was given to me by my grandmother - and I thought it looked great. My high school friends can attest to some unusual outfits. I'm glad the photos are tucked away.
6 comments:
tucked away you say? hmmm, I'll have to go back through my albums and see what I can dig out! :)
I don't think you give off a cheerleader vibe, or a Tigerette vibe. I don't think your hair was ever BIG enough to emit the shock waves into the universe. Too bad you didn't do a high kick in your class - that would have knocked their socks off and inspired their writing even more!
Hmmm I'm going to mom and dad's tomorrow - lots of photos and a scanner. What will I DO WITH MYSELF??
Wow, a cheerleader, I would not have ever guessed. That's funny, just yesterday I told Allison that she could play basketball, volleyball, track, softball, or anything else she wanted except being a cheerleader. I just have a certain type of person in my mind to be a cheerleader and didn't want her to become that....but after hearing you were a cheerleader I may have to give cheer leading a second thought (since I think you are an amazing person)...and then tell her she can't do it (since I didn't do it:)
Oh the outfits. I wore a trash bag to middle school as a skirt, with leggings underneath. What on earth were we thinking. My Rebelette uniform (sadly complete with a 'rebel' flag) won the Halloween contest a few years back. People were horrified. Texas in the 1990s. The good news is the uniforms were retired after I graduated. I wonder how you think the students were perceiving you? You are not cheesy, and yet have always been a great cheer person for all of your friends and family
Maybe we were all dressing crazy - bubble skirts, florescent colors, tights, big bangs. Oh, the 80s!
Chuckle Chuckle-just thinking about the styles back then...I remember Nikki wearing a t-shirt as a skirt (tucked the sleeves in like pockets) as well as so many other "cool" styles we gave in to. Never would have put you for a cheerleader though-although I do LOVE your enthusiasm! Hope Harper shows up soon-the kids were talking about it here on Monday.
Post a Comment