Sep 11, 2008

We don't like Ike

We sure don't like the damage Ike has done to Haiti and Cuba. Just listening to a radio report from Haiti two days ago brought me to tears - the town of Gonaives, Haiti was just hammered! It remains to be seen how hard Ike hits Texas this weekend.
What do we like about Ike? We like having the day off. Blinn and Bryan ISD are cancelled tomorrow, so we will *try* to enjoy an extra sleep-in morning. By sleeping in, I mean 8 a.m.

Note: it's a bit HARD getting G & A to school by 7:30 a.m., since they aren't coherent until 9. All summer, Graham would wake up at 6:00 or 6:15 a.m., just eager to start the day! Now that school's started, his body has moved into 'sleep late' mode. I have actually tested his blood sugar while he was still asleep. I've also dressed Annie while she was asleep. I am seriously considering putting them to bed in the next day's clothes!

I am almost done unpacking boxes and will be able to arrange some things in the garage too. That will be a pleasure, actually. I know I'm an official grown-up: the opportunity to organize in my garage is something I'm looking forward to! :)

We have water, a Hannah Montana flashlight, a High School Musical flashlight, a brand-new jar of Nutella, two bags of ice and a dozen crisp apples. That should tide us over! (I bought additional groceries AND new markers this morning.)

If the power fails, we shall play chess by candlelight!

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm not sure if it has any nutritive value but Nutella sure tastes good. I love dad's rationale last Christmas when Andrew got the humongous size in his stocking and dad sampled a spoonful telling mom "It's made of Hazelnuts - it's good for you." Maybe the chocolatey nut spread isn't good for your heart or good for your waist, but it sure is good for your taste buds (which is why I no longer purchase it.)

J and M said...

I love Nutella!

Are you in danger other than power failure? When we saw the flood gauge 5 feet above ground by your church, Jon and I were alarmed.

Will you just have a mighty rain storm........why is school cancelled?

Do you have medical supplies....

on and on.
m