Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!I can't believe a statue of liberty chess.........A must have! E would LOVE the hello kitty as well. Too bad I can't remember how to play at all.
Is it sad (I can hear your gasp now) to admit that I never learned how to play chess? Hopefully someone will teach Mr. Oliver to play, so he can hang out with Graham and Annie.
Ben and John Layne once tried to teach me to play chess but it's not something I took to, and frankly don't understand (it's like having to watch football -- what's the point???) Other sports yes - I get, I love, I play but football - no way! I WISH I understood the strategy of chess, not enough to learn in my 30s but I still wish. At least they have cute sets -- what kind of set would make me want to learn? Hum... in my former life what about a "Newsies" or "Saved by the Bell" chess set? How about THAT???
I loved the NYC one but Chris pointed out that both teams are the same how do you tell who is who? Chris' fav chess set is a Lord of the Rings one he saw in a Skymall mag. on the plane. Somehow I would like to come up w/ the $500 it costs to give to him when he gets his PhD but that probably won't happen:(
Truman is really into chess, too--wants to play it every night. We have four chess sets, one an el cheapo that is missing three or four pieces, one awesome Lego chess set, but we rarely get it out because I don't want to lose pieces (which defeats the purpose, I know), one humongous, hand-carved wooden set from the Philippines which is too special for the kids to play with yet (plus, the queens, are, um, unfortunately topless), and a small stone set from Mexico. This is the one we play with, to my chagrin. Truman can tell the pieces apart, but the height difference is so indistinguishable and they all seemed to be carved into roughly the same character. Truman is always telling me, "Mom! That's a bishop, not a knight!" It'll be fun for Truman and Graham to play together next time we see each other . . . extended family reunion in Twin Falls again???
7 comments:
Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!I can't believe a statue of liberty chess.........A must have! E would LOVE the hello kitty as well. Too bad I can't remember how to play at all.
I lvoe the Annie post, what a grown up girl!
Is it sad (I can hear your gasp now) to admit that I never learned how to play chess? Hopefully someone will teach Mr. Oliver to play, so he can hang out with Graham and Annie.
Ben and John Layne once tried to teach me to play chess but it's not something I took to, and frankly don't understand (it's like having to watch football -- what's the point???) Other sports yes - I get, I love, I play but football - no way! I WISH I understood the strategy of chess, not enough to learn in my 30s but I still wish. At least they have cute sets -- what kind of set would make me want to learn? Hum... in my former life what about a "Newsies" or "Saved by the Bell" chess set? How about THAT???
I hope Santa brings that NY chess set -- it's beyond perfect.
I loved the NYC one but Chris pointed out that both teams are the same how do you tell who is who? Chris' fav chess set is a Lord of the Rings one he saw in a Skymall mag. on the plane. Somehow I would like to come up w/ the $500 it costs to give to him when he gets his PhD but that probably won't happen:(
I like the kitty chess. Meow! Can't for Graham to see the transformer chess we got.
Truman is really into chess, too--wants to play it every night. We have four chess sets, one an el cheapo that is missing three or four pieces, one awesome Lego chess set, but we rarely get it out because I don't want to lose pieces (which defeats the purpose, I know), one humongous, hand-carved wooden set from the Philippines which is too special for the kids to play with yet (plus, the queens, are, um, unfortunately topless), and a small stone set from Mexico. This is the one we play with, to my chagrin. Truman can tell the pieces apart, but the height difference is so indistinguishable and they all seemed to be carved into roughly the same character. Truman is always telling me, "Mom! That's a bishop, not a knight!" It'll be fun for Truman and Graham to play together next time we see each other . . . extended family reunion in Twin Falls again???
Post a Comment